KFC's House of Horror

Sleeping Giant

Pilgrim's Pride Target of PETA Chicken-Abuse Video
Tue Jul 20, 2004 03:33 PM ET

By Richard Cowan
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - An animal rights group on Tuesday released a video it said it secretly taped showing cruelty at a U.S. poultry plant owned by Pilgrim's Pride Corp., and the company's shares fell as much as 5.7 percent.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) said the tape showed workers at a West Virginia Pilgrim's Pride plant ripping off birds' beaks, spitting tobacco into their mouths and eyes, stomping and kicking live chickens, and squeezing them with such force "that the birds expelled feces."

The tape is the latest in an 18-month-long series of investigations by PETA of companies that supply KFC, the fast-food chicken chain owned and operated by Yum Brands Inc. .

PETA spokesman Dan Shannon said the abuses found at the Pilgrim's Pride facility went far beyond the "routine, standard cruelty" the animal rights group found in past investigations.

Shannon said PETA workers routinely observed crippled chickens and chickens living without adequate food and water on farms in England, Germany, Australia and India that supplied meat to KFC. But he contrasted that to "the really sadistic abuse that we found in this video" from Moorefield, West Virginia.

Pilgrim's Pride, the No. 2 U.S. poultry producer after Tyson Foods, is a KFC supplier.
The entire news article is here: http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=5721464

The video is currently available through PETA's homepage (http://www.petatv.com) or directly here: http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/Prefs.asp?video=pilgrims_web

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The irony is, in order to tape/film that, they had to participate or allow it to go on, as they watched.

He said the acts shown in the PETA video were "completely contrary" to the company's policies on treatment of poultry and that any employees found in violation of those policies would be fired.

That's more than PETA did.

Sleeping Giant

I don't know if I agree with you, Gonz.

First, let's assume for the sake of argument that PETA's undercover worker didn't actually participate in these activities, but merely observed them ("allowed them to go on"). If I understand your positon--and please correct me if I'm wrong--you feel the PETA rep should have blown the whistle on the first act of abuse he/she observed, rather than to let additional acts continue to occur. To my knowledge, undercover investigators--even official police--routinely allow criminal and indecent behavior to occur. I believe that this is to collect a sufficient amount of evidence with which to prove that the wrongdoings are not merely one-time isolated incidents, but are regular, on-going occurances. Now, you and I, if we heard that on one occasion one employee squeezed one live chicken to death, and that one instance was all we heard about and all there was proof of, well you and I might conclude that that one occurance surely isn't the only occurance and that that type of thing probably happens a lot more often than just the once. However, that isn't good enough in a court of law to show that this kind of thing happens regularly. To prove that something happens regularly, you need to have evidence of it happening regularly over a sufficiently long enough period of time. Obviously, an undercover agent could not collect this type of evidence if he/she blew the whistle on the first occurance.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Sleeping Giant said:
I don't know if I agree with you, Gonz

My friend, the line forms to the right :D

On to the rest of the post. What you write is generally correct. I must point out that PETA is not a law enforcement agency. They are not, to my knowledge, a bonded & licensed private investigation firm. Nor are they above suspicion...they have a rather checkered past.

That said, I must add that I believe in stopping the crime above all else. If an undercover office were to participate in or observe a crime, I'd expect him/her to stop it. Granted, much depend on severity. No point in blowing cover for running a red light or petty larceny. I also believe that the police ought to, on ocassion, stop in front of known or highly assumed drug dealers houses, bang loudly on the door & yell POLICE!!! WE HAVE A WARRANT!, get back into their squad car & go about their patrol. As the dealers are busy flushing drugs down the toilet it matters not one hoot if there is a warrant. Later, after crying wolf a number of times, a real warrant can be obtained & the bust will still get the drugs.

Stop the crime at any reasonable cost.

Inkara1

Gonz said:
I also believe that the police ought to, on ocassion, stop in front of known or highly assumed drug dealers houses, bang loudly on the door & yell POLICE!!! WE HAVE A WARRANT!, get back into their squad car & go about their patrol.
I don't know why, but for some reason I find that really funny. :D

chcr

Too cute for words
Wait. The PETA guy was there for six months and evidently found this one violation? They're chickens, you're going to eat them. :rolleyes:

Uki Chick

chcr said:
They're chickens, you're going to eat them. :rolleyes:

Whether you are going to eat them or not does not mean that they should be treated in such a fashion before hand. They should be killed in a humane way. Not kicked, thrown, stomped on etc. Granted these chickens don't know that they are their to die and be eaten, but if they did, I doubt they'd appreciate such treatment. Just like you wouldn't appreciate it if you knew you were going to die and someone just made you suffer even more.

I don't think I could have sat back taping that going on and not do anything. Yes, you need evidence in order to go to court with it and all, but to actually be able to tape that and not do anything I cannot understand.

chcr

Too cute for words
Uki Chick said:
Whether you are going to eat them or not does not mean that they should be treated in such a fashion before hand. They should be killed in a humane way.

When I was a kid we used to chop their heads off with a hatchet and laugh at them while they ran around the yard. :shrug:

MrBishop

Chickens or not... bucket-bound or not, you can tell a whole lot about a person by the way they treat animals.

Someone who acts normal at work and is genial with friends, but goes home and kicks the dog for no apparent reason, is not a nice person.

These employees aren't required to abuse the chickens, just feed them, slaughter them and process them.

How spitting chewing tobacco down their throats makes the KFC Mega-Meal taste any better is beyond me.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
chcr said:
When I was a kid we used to chop their heads off with a hatchet and laugh at them while they ran around the yard. :shrug:

Stopping for the occasional wringing of the neck.

FluerVanderloo

My grandfather would put them in barrels because they would run into the water behind his house. Once he thought one was dead and lifted the lid, and the chicken flew back out at him.

He never raised another chicken to slaughter.

Uki Chick

chcr said:

My parents and grandparent's use to do that too. It's better than kicking and stomping on them!

Uki Chick

MrBishop said:
Chickens or not... bucket-bound or not, you can tell a whole lot about a person by the way they treat animals.

Someone who acts normal at work and is genial with friends, but goes home and kicks the dog for no apparent reason, is not a nice person.

These employees aren't required to abuse the chickens, just feed them, slaughter them and process them.

How spitting chewing tobacco down their throats makes the KFC Mega-Meal taste any better is beyond me.

I didn't even think of that. You make a good point Bish!

catocom

I worked a Fieldale chicken plan for years, several years back....
I work on the loading dock, at the other end from the live docks.
I work on QC for a short time.
I can tell you it takes a certain kind of person to even work on the live end.
After a day of QCing the live dock, I was a little bonkers myself.
Man, it's so nasty there.
It was against the rules to do crazy shit out there, not because of animal
rights, but because if they had time to do that crap, they weren't doing their
job right. (you had to be fast) Also the company prided it's self on having the
very best product, and you can't have bloody, or bruised stuff on the product end.