I've noticed his absence....

MrBishop

We have a large local bookstore with an atrium; pleasant waterfall and a nice living canopy.

Coffee to.

Nice.. closest to that would be Coles/Chapters/Indigo..with it's food-area. Expensive hard to pronounce coffees and cakes/cookies.

Libraries, on the other hand are mostly designed for useability and storage rather than comfort. My alma mater has a library complex downtown Montreal... lots of light/windows and is partially an atrium, and the exterior architecture is stunning, but it's not..comfortable. Very blocky. Certainly no food allowed inside. Perish the thought!

libraryatrium.jpg

library.jpg

concordia002.jpg

BeardofPants

A store that a friend of mine owns has it's own in-house cats...they kinda lounge around the shelves waiting for the next suck..er..client to take an interest in rubbing their bellies. A pretty esoteric store, so the cats fit in quite nicely.

We have a store like that too - only the one cat tho'. Also, there was one in Venice Beach, LA, that had a QTE kitteh! :)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Bookstores generally don't have cafes or patios where you can eat/drink and browse books before buying because they don't want crap wasted all over books that haven't been bought. Almost all Chapters stores have a Starbucks and depending on the location I've seen patios attached to those Starbucks. You're not allowed to take books into the starbucks without paying for them though, because other wise people would sit and read without buying and risk spilling stuff. I think their reasoning is very reasonable.

Cerise

There's a tavern in a neighboring town that doesn't serve food, but encourages their patrons to bring in carryout from their favorite eatery, and or course wash it down with the bar's beer. Perfect for those football Saturdays....

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
There's a tavern in a neighboring town that doesn't serve food, but encourages their patrons to bring in carryout from their favorite eatery, and or course wash it down with the bar's beer. Perfect for those football Saturdays....

Interesting. It's illegal here for bars not to offer food. They also can't just offer one item, they need to offer a minimum number of different selections for food for all hours that they're serving alcohol. I don't know the exact details, but I do know one bar here in Calgary was once shut down for not offering food and my brother is a bouncer at a bar in Ontario (he's in university, it's a part time gig) and he told me they have to offer a minimum number of food selections all night (he told me the number but I forget).

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
That's a really cool idea. I'd love to be able to order food delivery to be brought to me at a bar!

Actually I am not too sure if this distinction is made in your state or province, but here in Washington, a "tavern", defined as an establishment that serves beer and wine, but not distilled spirits, does not have to serve food. A bar or cocktail lounge that does serve distilled spirits must serve food and they must have a certain number of items (I never did know how many), even after the attached restaurant closes. Usually around here, they have some cold sandwiches, some salads and a number of deep fryer items such as shrimp, fries, onion rings, fried mozzarella, battered and fried veggies, or other simple to make even for a bartender type items.

2minkey

bootlicker
yeah it varies from state to state and i'm guessing province to province as i seem to recall something about BC being different as far as booze laws from ontario, though that may have just been how a private individual buys it at a store, not a bar/restaurant thing. i can tell you that there's no problem in CA or IL serving all order of booze without food being served.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
In AZ, a bar is a bar. There are no beer/wine only licenses. Food or no food, owners discretion.

IN has weird package laws but standard bars rules (although, you can buy alcohol in a restaurant on Sunday but not at a retail store)