I B S

Mare

Irritable Bowel Syndrome:

Treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome at Mayo Clinic
(Synonyms: functional bowel disease, irritable colon, IBS, mucus colitis, spastic colon)

Nearly one in five American adults has irritable bowel syndrome. The disorder accounts for more than one of every 10 doctor visits. Yet it's also a condition that many people are reluctant to discuss with their physicians. In most cases, the disease can be managed with treatment; a small percentage of patients have severe symptoms.

IBS is characterized by abdominal pain or cramping and changes in bowel function, including bloating, gas, diarrhea and constipation. The walls of the intestines are lined with layers of muscle that contract and relax as they move food from the stomach through the intestinal tract to the rectum. Normally, these muscles contract and relax in a coordinated rhythm. With IBS, the contractions are stronger and last longer than normal. Food is forced through the intestines irregularly, causing symptoms of gas, bloating, diarrhea and constipation

Women are two to three times more likely than men to have IBS -- it is believed that hormonal changes sometimes play a role in the disease. IBS can be confused with inflammatory bowel diseases such as ulcerative colitis or Crohn's, but, unlike those diseases, IBS does not cause significant inflammation or increase the risk of colorectal cancer.

Treatment Options

The primary goal for treatment is to reduce symptoms. This can often be accomplished with stress management techniques or changes in diet. If symptoms continue, ongoing care by a physician may be needed. IBS may be treated with various medications, from fiber supplements to antidepressants. Several new drugs are available.

Past 3 days this is what i've been dealing with, wish it would go away....doc has me on Bentel, which its helping..but boy, does it hurt.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
lol Sharky :D

My sister suffers with this. Take care of yourself, Mare. Are you looking into the diets?

Starya

Mare said:
Women are two to three times more likely than men to have IBS -- it is believed that hormonal changes sometimes play a role in the disease.
A-HA! Another one to add to the list... As if losing my hair wasn't bad enough. :nerd:

Mare

Leslie said:
lol Sharky :D

My sister suffers with this. Take care of yourself, Mare. Are you looking into the diets?

Yeah beer, spicy chicken wings and coffee and smokes........ :lol2:
No, I try to watch what I eat. When I take the medicine it helps alot. I usually only have to take it for about 3 days 4 times a day and then it feels better. The only time it really acts up is if im stressed. With the hurricane and some other issues it was really bothering me. But, much better now-Thanks all.

Sorry Bish for the :tim: ..........was venting out my pain! :D