How's your garden doing?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Well, I've got something that looks like the beginnings of some kind of bulb plant trying to grow....but it's two bunches of 10 or 15 little sprouts all together and based on the dead whatever it was that the previous owners never cleared out from last year they get about 1.5 feet tall and are more branch like than flower like. I have no idea what it's going to be.

Also, I spent a good portion of yesterday tending to a large bare patch in my front lawn...today I found out that the city might actually agree to remove the tree I want gone from my front lawn (roots are surfacing and they are getting mighty close to the house). So, looks like I get to start from scratch with the lawn. That might be better anyway. It is a mish-mash mess right now.

catocom

Well, I've got something that looks like the beginnings of some kind of bulb plant trying to grow....but it's two bunches of 10 or 15 little sprouts all together and based on the dead whatever it was that the previous owners never cleared out from last year they get about 1.5 feet tall and are more branch like than flower like. I have no idea what it's going to be.

Also, I spent a good portion of yesterday tending to a large bare patch in my front lawn...today I found out that the city might actually agree to remove the tree I want gone from my front lawn (roots are surfacing and they are getting mighty close to the house). So, looks like I get to start from scratch with the lawn. That might be better anyway. It is a mish-mash mess right now.

Plant 'peas' the first year, then grass seed.
It'll make it do good.

valkyrie

We won't have to mess with restritions this year. We had enough rain
to take care of that a while, if the feds do stop us drawing from the big lake.
Feds? :eek: What the hell kinda lake do you draw from? Must be on federal land. Water rights are regulated at a state level in most cases.
I'm going to pick up my plants at the local agri/hardware supply this week.
I usually get 18. I'm going to get 12 Rutgers, and 6 Betterboys this year.
My neighbor just planted 18 tomato plants. I usually get by with 3 plants total. That's enough to get my through the summer and winter if I pick good producers and treat them well. This year I have 12 tomatoes, all started from seed in the window in early January. I have so many I have run out of room for them and will be potting some out in buckets that I'll turn into self-watering pots (DIY instructions from Mother Earth News). This will be one of my garden experiments this year, along with the squash and pole beans in piles of donkey manure. (So far the pole beans are not coming up in the manure but the squash seems to be just fine.)
Sat. I hauled about 3-6 tons (not a real good judge) (12 loader buckets)
of good top soil woods dirt up to my red clay garden spot.
It's about a 1/3-1/2 acre.
I'm going right now to spread it, and trun it in some, and then I'll get started
tilling on it friday probably.
I have a doc appointment tomorrow, if the don't reschedule again.
Also later then it's my youngest god-son's BD. (also my nephew)
He's turning 12, so he always wants to go out to eat.
So I'll be tied up most of the day tomorrow.
Then thursday I'v gotta monitor my cousin's auction, and do web updates.
You might be jealous when I tell you that most of my garden is all planted out. ;) HA!

valkyrie

Know the area quite well. My grandparents lived next to Horseshoe Bay.

My brother lives in Kingsland.

I'm lucky that spring pollen and fall ragweed don't bother me in the least. Neither does the cedar.
Horseshoe Bay is on Lake LBJ, right?

Sometimes it's fun to see what a plant is going to turn out to be, even if it's a weed. Sometimes it's a nice surprise. I fell in love with a native wildflower here called Verbena. Deer don't eat it and neither do goats or donkeys so it's a perfect flower for color around my house.
http://www.lone-star.net/wildflowers/flower41.html

catocom

Feds? :eek: What the hell kinda lake do you draw from? Must be on federal land. Water rights are regulated at a state level in most cases.

The main river is the Chattahoochee, that feeds into Lake Lanier,
that atm supplies most of the water to Atlanta, and our area.The river downstream flows into Alabama, and then Florida, and there's were the dispute comes in.

The lake was built by the corp. and was designated, they say, for recreational
use, and not to draw for drinking....
So the courts are busy, and in the meantime, new reservoirs are being built in several places.

valkyrie

The main river is the Chattahoochee, that feeds into Lake Lanier,
that atm supplies most of the water to Atlanta, and our area.The river downstream flows into Alabama, and then Florida, and there's were the dispute comes in.

The lake was built by the corp. and was designated, they say, for recreational
use, and not to draw for drinking....
So the courts are busy, and in the meantime, new reservoirs are being built in several places.
Sounds like a major cluster. There's a cheap DIY for rain water collection off your roof that you might be interested in. I believe it's at the Mother Earth News site but there are others on the 'Net out there also.

If the "powers that be" (state or federal) put the restrictions on your water use again then you will still be able to water your garden without any troubles with "Johnny Law".

catocom

personally, I have a 3+ acre lake here. ;)
and a good pump.

The drinking water situation is not good though, and last summer,
all the car washes had to shut down for a while.

Yeah, it's a mess, and has been going on for at least 2 decades in the states battles.

It always comes to a head in a drought situation, and year before last was the worst in my lifetime.

valkyrie

personally, I have a 3+ acre lake here. ;)
and a good pump.

The drinking water situation is not good though, and last summer,
all the car washes had to shut down for a while.

Yeah, it's a mess, and has been going on for at least 2 decades in the states battles.

It always comes to a head in a drought situation, and year before last was the worst in my lifetime.
Wash... car??????? Your strange ways are so foreign to me, sir. :D LOL! :rofl:
(I live down a dirt road, washing my car would be an exercise in futility.)

You're not alone with the water battle. Nevada farmers have been fighting the ever expanding demands of Las Vegas for a while. Though that fight is not between states and seems less complicated than yours.

valkyrie

Sure is --- once upon a time it was named Lake Marble Falls.
At night, from the top of their hill, you could see the lights of Marble Falls.
We get our internet via a Wireless ISP in Marble Falls. No cable for us in the boonies. Every now and then we'll take a ride to Marble Falls for dinner. There's a restaurant there that's known for their pies: The Blue Bonnet Cafe. Food is decent but there's an Italian place that's much better but I forgot the name (it's been a while).

catocom

Wash... car??????? Your strange ways are so foreign to me, sir. :D LOL! :rofl:
(I live down a dirt road, washing my car would be an exercise in futility.)

You're not alone with the water battle. Nevada farmers have been fighting the ever expanding demands of Las Vegas for a while. Though that fight is not between states and seems less complicated than yours.

yeah, I don't go to the carwash.
I've got a pressure washer, but washing is pointless this time of year with
all the pine trees around here.
It looks like a light high-yellow snow every morning.
Big yellow clouds of pollen float by frequently.
There's also a sizable gravel lot next door, and trucks frequent there.
My 2 vehicles are '86 models anyway :D

It was just a statement about the business mostly, not a personal thing on that.

Mirlyn

Similar battles here between CO and KS over the Arkansas water rights.

catocom

Why would I plant peas in the middle of my front yard???

it puts large amounts of nitrogen, and organic material in the soil,
and the grass will just go crazy good the next year.

If you get a viney variety, it'll stay low, and look good.
very low maintenance.
Then next year, sow the grass right on top of the old vines, and the grass will eat it up as it grows.
By the time it's tall enough to cut, the vines will finish disintegrating.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
it puts large amounts of nitrogen, and organic material in the soil,
and the grass will just go crazy good the next year.

If you get a viney variety, it'll stay low, and look good.
very low maintenance.
Then next year, sow the grass right on top of the old vines, and the grass will eat it up as it grows.
By the time it's tall enough to cut, the vines will finish disintegrating.

Yeah...I think I'll pass on the peas in the middle of the yard thing. I would like my neighbours not to think a crazy person has moved in.

valkyrie

Yeah...I think I'll pass on the peas in the middle of the yard thing. I would like my neighbours not to think a crazy person has moved in.
Put a little border around it. They'll think it's some exotic flowering plant. They'll never know the difference. Pea and bean flowers can be very pretty.

I just planted some bush beans... Royal Burgundy Beans... the pods are purple and very pretty. Mine have just started to bud and the buds are purple so far (I don't know what color the flowers will be but I can give an update). The leaves of the plants have purple veins. It's a very pretty green bean variety and you could get away with planting something like this in the middle of your yard.
http://yourorganicgardeningblog.com/growing-beans-royal-burgundy/

I also planted Yellow Wax Beans (bush beans) also. I planted the Yellow Wax Beans and Royal Burgundy Bush Beans alternating so I would have yellow/purple/yellow/purple. It should look pretty cool when they fruit. :)

catocom

those are a pretty bush bean variety. ;)

3544671161_f8a3d125a3.jpg

valkyrie

yeah, I don't go to the carwash.
I've got a pressure washer, but washing is pointless this time of year with
all the pine trees around here.
It looks like a light high-yellow snow every morning.
Big yellow clouds of pollen float by frequently.
There's also a sizable gravel lot next door, and trucks frequent there.
My 2 vehicles are '86 models anyway :D

It was just a statement about the business mostly, not a personal thing on that.
Heh... car washing: I figured you were more practical than that. ;)

Our clouds of yellow dust/pollen are from oak right now.