Hispanic groups call for moratorium on work raids

highwayman

After they are claiming this is Nazi Germany I don't have a problem with a moratorium, It'll keep the shysters busy while the ilegles are being rounded up...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061221/us_nm/immigration_raids_dc
SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) - U.S. Hispanic groups and activists on Thursday called for a moratorium on workplace raids to round up illegal immigrants, saying they were reminiscent of Nazi crackdowns on Jews in the 1930s.

They accused the Department of Immigration and Customs Enforcement of "racial profiling," or selective enforcement against Hispanics, for arresting 1,300 workers on immigration violations in December 12 raids at meatpacking plants in six states.

Professur

Although correcting that little difference would soon put a stop to the illegal border crossings, wouldn't it?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I just bet they want 'em ended. Maybe now rthey can protest in the streets some more. And at the end of the parade line we can herd 'em into paddy wagons and drop 'em off in Mexico.

If you ain't a citizen, your rights stop at oxygen, water, and occupance of space. Ideally at least.

*sings Theme from Rawhide...

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Just a small clarification, hispanic includes mexicans, but not all hispanics are mexicans.

spike

They're welcome to call it whatever they want. I'll continue to call it "highly effective".

A couple problems. In the recent raids only hispanic looking people were hassled, as if it's ok to be illegal if your skin is the right color. That means many hispanic US citizens were also were messed with in error.

Also some of the workers arrested had kids in school or legal spouses so it splits up some families.

:shrug:

spike

Completely missing the point. Which was hispanic citizens (that means legal) were hassled while anyone not hispanic (yet still potentially illegal) was not.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Which was hispanic citizens (that means legal) were hassled while anyone not hispanic (yet still potentially illegal) was not.

Sometimes ya gotta break some eggs. :shrug:

saying they were reminiscent of Nazi crackdowns on Jews in the 1930s.

If we're like Germany in the 1930s, they are hereby cordially invited to avoid us like the plague. Look, problem solved.

A.B.Normal

No, they could have at leasted checked everybody for legal status.

From the link
Many of those arrested in the December 12 raids, all at Swift & Co. plants, were from Latin American countries.

I'd have to assume some therefore weren't from Latin American Countries,so they must have checked everybody.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
If we're like Germany in the 1930s, they are hereby cordially invited to avoid us like the plague. Look, problem solved.

Precisely. No one put a gun to their heads and forced them to come here illegally. For the umpteenth time, choices have consequences. You play, you better be ready to pay.

tonksy

Spike, If the legals had been carrying their green card or state identification there would not have been an issue. My Mother had to keep hers on her at all times - those are the rules. That's why you are issued those items - to differentiate the legals from the non.