HELP!!!

simplyred

I have a beautiful 7mo female cat. Her name is Sophie and I love her to peices! But no matter how clean the litter boxes are, she continues to pee on the laundry. I have moved the laundry to various places, even placed the litter box near where the laundry normally goes...no luck. I know she uses the litter boxes because I see her in them. Still she goes No. 1 in the laundry basket (mind you only when clothes are in it). HELP! Why is she doing this? What can I do to make her stop? I never catch her doing it so I can not tell her NO, or mist the spray bottle at her (which has kept her off the counter tops). Between this and her daily climb up the Christmas tree I am ready to scream!

Inkara1

How many cats do you have and how many litter boxes do you have? The rule is one box per cat, then one more (four boxes for three cats... I have one cat and two boxes, one in the bedroom and one in the dining area, and it made Jordan quit peeing on my bed). Also, what type of litter are you using? Did your cat use the box for a while, then suddenly stop? Perhaps something scared her while she was mid-loaf. Do the litter boxes have those covers over them to turn them into little litter cubbies? If so, remove them without haste. It holds the stink in and cats' noses do work.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I have a beautiful 7mo female cat. Her name is Sophie and I love her to peices! But no matter how clean the litter boxes are, she continues to pee on the laundry. I have moved the laundry to various places, even placed the litter box near where the laundry normally goes...no luck. I know she uses the litter boxes because I see her in them. Still she goes No. 1 in the laundry basket (mind you only when clothes are in it). HELP! Why is she doing this? What can I do to make her stop? I never catch her doing it so I can not tell her NO, or mist the spray bottle at her (which has kept her off the counter tops). Between this and her daily climb up the Christmas tree I am ready to scream!

Are the clothes the same every time? Could be that some of the clothes have a 'scent' marker on them. Go past the local pet store to see if they sell anything that eliminates any markers. Failing that, ask your vet. Cats usually spray to mark territory, and once the area is marked, they will continue to go there...

tonksy

This is a female cat though...so marking is not as common. My thinking is that she needs another box or she has a pee pee problem. When Mo was having a pee fest on the baseboards my vet asked me was it in an obvious to me locale - like was he making a point of me seeing it. I said yes and the doc checked his urinary health. Sure enough, he had crystals and needed meds...so it might be a "help me, Mommy" kind of thing.

rrfield

we have this stupid cat that is doing the same thing. she keeps peeing all over my wifes clothes. one cat, one litter box which is kept clean. i already hate the cat, this is just another reason to hate it.

tonksy

Dude, another box really helps. We have 4 cats and 5 litter boxes in 3 different areas of the house. Nowadays when there is pee elsewhere it can be attributed to B and Mo having a macho fest or Mo having issues with crystals.

MrBishop

Get a laundry hamper with a lid. Next problem.

Then you have to toss out the hamper and buy a new one. :/

SimplyRed, the cat's still young... I'll go with Tonks on this one. The cat most likely has a bladder infection. She sleeps on the clothes (nice warm comfy spot)...needs to go and can't get up fast enough. Voila, an accident.

rrfield

i need one of these
alf.gif

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
This is a female cat though...so marking is not as common. My thinking is that she needs another box or she has a pee pee problem. When Mo was having a pee fest on the baseboards my vet asked me was it in an obvious to me locale - like was he making a point of me seeing it. I said yes and the doc checked his urinary health. Sure enough, he had crystals and needed meds...so it might be a "help me, Mommy" kind of thing.

I kinda figured that marking part out, which is why I mentioned the vet. ;)

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Another vote for another box, plus a different kind of litter.

Also, if you never catch the cat doing it, how do you know the cat is doing it?

simplyred

This does sound like the best solution. Espically since she is the only one who sleeps on the clothes. She loves my clothes. She has even figured out a way to crawl under the dresser and get in the drawers. Luckily, she has never peed in there.

Another vote for another box, plus a different kind of litter.

Also, if you never catch the cat doing it, how do you know the cat is doing it?

I'll have to investigate Slim. Maybe he is peeing on the laundry! Sorry, couldn't pass that up I guess you are right that Big Boy cat could be doing it.