Greeny...

HeXp£Øi±

Know anything about lawns? We decided to stay with my mom for the summer and she has a huge would-be-beautiful yard that's been neglected for years so it's half grass and half dandylion weeds. I'm thinking of renting a rototiller(i think?) and just turning the entire lawn over so it might be decent again by next year. Is this what i should do? I'm clueless.

On another note...remember that Dell OptiPlex GX1
i said i found? Well i slapped it together and mailed it off to Leahs dad since the guys never had a machine but now it sounds like the power supply was damaged in the mail. You mentioned that you have some of those in use at you work. I was wondering if you might have an extra psu from one sitting around that you might consider selling. If not no biggie i can probably find one on Ebay or something.

greenfreak

Actually, I know nothing about lawns. :D I never much paid attention to mine because my landlord is supposed to be responsible for having it mowed and the guy who mows it doesn't come often enough. If I water it and try to put seed down and take care of it, it just gets overgrown and looks terrible anyway. So I never really learned anything about them; now I just let it die.

The one thing I'm thinking though is that a lot of weeds self-seed themselves and if you rototill it, I think it will spread the 'weed seed' throughout the lawn. Last time I was at Frank's nursery, I made a wrong turn and walked into the lawn area and they have tons of stuff for weed control included in the lawn seed. Is there an independant nursery around? It's been my experience that the smaller nurseries know more to give you advice because they have to try harder to compete with the big places like Home Depot or Franks.

Funny you should mention the GX1 cus I need a power supply too. The GX1 is a work machine and they're sought after so I normally don't have overstock of them or their parts and I wouldn't be able to sell it anyway; it's not mine to sell. :D

One of my branches had a GX1 that they've had for two years. I think they zapped the PS (I haven't been able to find another one to swap it out with yet) but they just let the computer sit there for at least a year, broken. Meanwhile, if they had called me when it happened, it would have been under warranty but now it's expired. So I might be buying one too. :)

I've swapped them out with non-Dell PS's without a problem, I just matched the wattage. I think someone said somewhere though that if you don't use a Dell PS, that there's a greater chance of frying the mobo? Don't remember where I heard that.

Sorry I couldn't have been more help. I know, what good am I? :shrug: :D

HeXp£Øi±

Thanks PT. Greeny you can still be of help. I'm wondering if a standard psu would fit in that case without too much trouble. I only had that system for a few days so i can't remember what it looks like. Off the top of your head can you remember if the gx1 psu's are shaped drastically different or if a standard psu might fit into the case with little trouble. Pt i don't know how similear your 4300 is to the gx1 maybe you can answer this...

The thing is that non-computer literate individuals will be installing this new psu. I'm going to be directing them over the phone.

Yikes...

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
The only thing different about the psu from the 4300 was that the power cable plug was on the opposite side of where the power cable plug is on a standard psu. That means the the hole that was cut into the case for the plug was not in the right place for the new psu. I have since gone with a new case, so it's not a problem now, but they may need a dremel or something to cut the hole in the right place. Not sure if you really want them doing that. May be better off sending it back to you for you to do it.

greenfreak

From what I can remember, the PS was a standard size. But on one of the models, the small form factor, it's in the front of the case and has the cable for the ac outlet running up the side of it all the way to the back.

If you go to www.support.dell.com and choose the model from the drop down, then on the left go to documentation, then graphics, it will give you a list of graphics you can see. Looks like the rest of the models have the PS's in the back and they're probably all the standard size.

I've replaced them before and the only one that might be a bitch is the small form factor because you have to remove that entire cable to the back of the computer and it's a little tight in there. But otherwise, I don't think it's a big deal.

HeXp£Øi±

Zoiks....maybe i will just tell them to send it back for me to fix.

I'd buy one from you Fi but i fear Europe to Alaska would cost more than the unit is worth.

Thanks all.:)