Former smokers

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Yep, my 14 year old used to say that to me too. Found cig butts in his room now three times in the last year.

Aunty Em

catocom said:
I just about flipped when I was in the hospital for a month.
I finally got them to give me a patch, and it really did the job.
If I had continued along with it, stepping it down like it's meant to
be used, I probably could have quit for good.
About a week before I got out, and hadn't smoked for the previous 3 weeks,
I didn't have any craving at all, and I decided to just cold-stop using
the patch. (didn't think I needed it)
The first breath of fresh-outside air, and It smacked me in the face
like a scorned woman. I had to have one right then, and there just
happen to be a person right there with one.
I liked it so good, I decided not to even try to quit again, until, or unless, I had to, like I did drinking.
Now if the doc told me (like in my drinking situation) that If I didn't
quit right then, I'd only have a month to live (on the outside),
I'd drop it like a hot potato, and exhaust every means to stay away
from it, buuuut....
Hasn't happened as of yet, and i do really enjoy it.
Yeah... but the trouble with heart disease is sometimes it doesn't show till it's almost too late. My dad smoked from when he was 14... he died suddenly of a massive heart attack at 62... he didn't drink much, kept fit and had a healthy diet... but he smoked like a trooper and his doctor had warned him to stop cos he needed a triple heart bypass which was scheduled for 2 weeks later... makes you think... don't leave it too long.

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
Gonz - I, for one, am totally proud of you. Anyone who can beat an addiction is admirable, in my books. Keep at it - I'm thinking of you!!!

:clap:

Aunty Em

Yeah, whether you like it or not smoking is an addiction as bad as any other drug and worse than some.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
After 2 or 3 weeks you start to feel the change in your body, you'll feel with more energy, you'll wake up earlier with so much willing that you believe you can conquer the world ;)

tonksy

Luis G said:
After 2 or 3 weeks you start to feel the change in your body, you'll feel with more energy, you'll wake up earlier with so much willing that you believe you can conquer the world ;)
:confused: i didn't sign up for that...i wanna believe i can conquer the world...where's my energy?

Luis G

Staff member
Ohh, that's how it worked for me and some other friends that also quit (they quit for a few weeks thou).

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I could conquer the world & smoke at the same time. Remember, in my spare time I'm SUPERGONZ...Defender of what's right.

Since I quit;
I can't sleep at night,
my teeth hurt,
I'm stupid & spacey,
I'm even angrier than before,
there's something else that I'll edit & add later.

The good of quittting;
I've saved $8. on cigarettes

HomeLAN

PuterTutor said:
So what, about 3 or 4 more years before he has his first cig then, huh?

Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winnah! That's precisely why I quit. Didn't wanna, but the odds of him emulating the habit were too large to ignore.

It's been almost a year for me, and the cravings have not intensified. They've lessened, both in severity and number of occurences. It took about a week before I began to believe that I could do it, and about two months before I knew I could.

Gonz, you know I only post here these days when I think it's a balls-up necessity, so that should be an indicator that I think it's important to hang with it. One extra incentive - sex has improved markedly since I quit, both in pleasure and frequency. Amazing what NOT smelling like a cigarette will do for your attractiveness.

You've gone 4 days now, yes? Give it three more. You know and I know you're enough of a stubborn asshole to do it.

HomeLAN

Oh, one more thing, keep track of those savings. Chuck the five bucks you would've spent in a drawer and see how fast it adds up. It's buying me a new box after one year.

chcr

Too cute for words
You know and I know you're enough of a stubborn asshole to do it.

I think homie kind of hit the nail on the head for me. As I say, I don't think it's as hard to quit a pipe as cigarettes, but it was still hard. I was just too much of a stubborn asshole to admit I couldn't do it. :lol: Oh, forgot to mention gum. Specifically sugar-free gum. For the first couple of months, every time I wanted a smoke, I popped a stick of gum in my mouth. Poor substitute, but it did the trick.

Ms Ann Thrope

Luis G said:

that wasn't the case for me... :( after 3 weeks I wanted to shoot myself.... hated the world and everything in it.... no joy in anything anymore.... after 3 weeks I finally lit up and felt more happiness than I had ever felt in my life...

hopefully that won't be the case for Gonz, and he'll have more success in quitting

tonksy

imo you have to really want to...usually when i've quit in the past when i've quit it's been for another reason...pregnancy whatever...but the last time i had just lost the pleasure....i repeatedly say that i'll prolly smoke again....maybe that keeps me grounded....sometimes i crave a camel light....but not that often....you can do it gonz.

Luis G

Staff member
Ms Ann Thrope said:
that wasn't the case for me... :( after 3 weeks I wanted to shoot myself.... hated the world and everything in it.... no joy in anything anymore.... after 3 weeks I finally lit up and felt more happiness than I had ever felt in my life...

hopefully that won't be the case for Gonz, and he'll have more success in quitting

A while ago I read that smoking increases the secretion of certain substance (whose name i can't remember) that makes people happier, the subject gets used to this permanent happiness, and when he or she quits smoking they are most likely to get depressed, along with the desperate need for a cigarrete to feel "normal again".

However, I noticed that smoking made me feel a lot more tired, and when i quit i just felt a lot of difference, but then again, I was a hardcore smoker (3 packs a day by the time i quit).

greenfreak

HomeLAN said:
Gonz, you know I only post here these days when I think it's a balls-up necessity.

Nice to see you, just the same. Miss ya! Btw, haven't been able to play D2 in a while because my main machine is being flaky and my backup pc's can't handle the program. Once I get my new motherboard, I'll let you know and we'll play. :)

:hug: :kiss:

Oz

Luis G said:
A while ago I read that smoking increases the secretion of certain substance (whose name i can't remember) that makes people happier, the subject gets used to this permanent happiness, and when he or she quits smoking they are most likely to get depressed, along with the desperate need for a cigarrete to feel "normal again".

Nicotine releases endorphins.....natures own lil' "feelgood" chemical, which is why many people enjoy relaxin' with a smoke......unfortuneatly it also increases the heart rate and blood pressure...so the pleasant effects of the endorphins are soon flushed out. Easiest way for a smoker to release endorphins is to light another ciggy :eh:

Smokin' also causes an insulin' rush in the body. Providing a quick burst of energy........this is why many quitters crave sweet foods and why smokers often light up when they feel peckish, tired etc.