F***in SUV's

staffrodore

This afternoon..while minding my own business driving downtown in a relatively unprotected vehicle..some fuckwit looked straight at me and pulled out into the oncoming traffic...why?..maybe because he at least felt safe in his queen street tractor...i took evasive action but i was not impressed...
ban the pieces of shit!...

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Rude drivers are rude drivers no matter what they drive.

My wife drives an SUV. Where we live a four wheel drive is a necessity during certain parts of the year, and I own a pick up truck. She has the SUV so that all 3 of us can ride in the same vehicle from time to time. This SUV is most assuredly not a soccer mom taxi however. The day we bought it, she was practically foaming at the mouth to take it off-road and get it muddy. Vanity, thy name is not this woman anyway. :lloyd:

Blam ethe driver, not the vehicle. I've been cut off by drivers of every age, both genders, in every conceivable highway navigational craft. It happens.

Winky

Sports cars are better I can pull out in front of you and be gone before you can hit me!

Dave

i hate the damn things too. i hardly ever see more than 1 person in them at any time. a lot of people cant drive them because of the size, not to mention parking them. the thing i get the biggest kick out of is that the newer ones are fairly rare on the road when the weather gets bad.
now that the older ones are getting into the secondary market (read: teens) i believe there will be a rash of rollover and SUV/car fatalities in the coming years.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Making matters worse. The drivers who turn out in front of you, drive slower than you drive & then turn left 4 blocks down the road...at the only intersection for 50 miles & a line of cars following Bubba's brother going the other way.

It ain't SUV's. Idiots drive every style...well, BMW drivers are especially obnoxious.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Gonz said:
Making matters worse. The drivers who turn out in front of you, drive slower than you drive & then turn left 4 blocks down the road...at the only intersection for 50 miles & a line of cars following Bubba's brother going the other way.

It ain't SUV's. Idiots drive every style...well, BMW drivers are especially obnoxious.

About 4 years ago, I was taking the Audi up to Pennsylvania to visit my rents. I was going between 75 and 80 on I-77 going up through Virginia, passing a truck, when some doofus in an M3 decided I wasn't going fast enough. I passed the truck, and moved over to the right-hand lane to let him pass. As he passed, he slowed down, and flipped me off before speeding back up again. The asswipe had to be going in the triple-digits...I'm pretty sure I could've caught him, but it really wasn't worth the effort. :shrug:

Professur

I've taken to keeping a digital camera with me, with video capabilities. When someone obliges with stupid behavior, I've got it on chip.

Did I mention that one of my customers is the city of laval? And I frequent the police stations?

unclehobart

The thing I can't stand about SUV's are the parking lots. There I am trying to back out... a glance to the left ... SUV towering over me... windows too high to peer through from where I am ... sigh... I'm blind that way. A glance to the right... SUV towering over me... black windows... as high as a panel van... I'm blind that way... sigh. Now I have to creep out at .00003 kph and hope that someone isn't zipping up and about to clip me or some grandma with her grocery and lotto tickets about to get turned into a hieroglyph on the tarmac.

Professur

Our company issued a memo that according to company policy, all company vehicles must either have a pull through parking space, or reverse into their space due to the number of accidents caused by the larger trucks backing into something they didn't see.

They figure that when you pull in, you're more aware of your suroundings, and there's less chance of something slipping into your blindspot.

Gato_Solo

Definitions from the Strakalogue Glossary...

Oblivion (oh-bliv-éon)
— A person who is so oblivious to his or her surroundings that they abandon all common courtesy and commit daily acts of rudeness. Oblivions are oblivious to the very fact that they are Oblivions, which makes it difficult for an Oblivion to ever see the error in his or her ways.

For example: A line of courteous people will form at the Starbucks coffee counter, with each person ordering in their turn. An Oblivion usually stands to the side of the line, staring so intently at the Frappuccino menu that when a clerk asks who's next, they are awakened out of their Oblivion trance and will yell out their order, cutting the line as if there weren't a line at all. They're also parked in a no-parking or handicapped zone.

Another example is the movie theater Oblivion, who arrives to a packed theater with an Oblivion friend, after the movie begins. Together they will search for seats and eventually spot two separate, empty seats in the same row. They will then proceed to ask the people who bothered to show up early so they could choose the seats they wanted (non-Oblivions) and ask everybody in the row to scoot down a seat so they can sit together

MrBishop

120604_SUV_ocean.jpg

"Reportedly, the passengers of the vehicle were enjoying their beers and weren't immediately aware that the truck was in the water and being pulled into the ocean."

Can anyone say DWI ?
I knew that you could!

Gato_Solo

Obliviot — A person whose Oblivionism is dangerous to others. Will stop short in the middle of a busy sidewalk to answer a cell phone, try to board an "up" elevator before it empties, and swings a lit cigarette indiscriminately as they walk. Also known to make abrupt, complete stops at yield signs and are chronic rubber-neckers.

Same source as before...

chcr

Too cute for words
Professur said:
Our company issued a memo that according to company policy, all company vehicles must either have a pull through parking space, or reverse into their space due to the number of accidents caused by the larger trucks backing into something they didn't see.

They figure that when you pull in, you're more aware of your suroundings, and there's less chance of something slipping into your blindspot.

Gee, I always thought that you were supposed to set up your mirrors to cover your blind spots. It must be just me... ;)

BTW, the wife drives an SUV (4runner) and she manages to drive, park, etc. without cutting anyone off or hitting anyone. :shrug:

Gato_Solo

chcr said:
Gee, I always thought that you were supposed to set up your mirrors to cover your blind spots. It must be just me... ;)

Depends upon how the mirrors are angled, now dunnit?

chcr said:
BTW, the wife drives an SUV (4runner) and she manages to drive, park, etc. without cutting anyone off or hitting anyone. :shrug:

that you know of... :elaugh1:

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
chcr said:

Ditto.

Some people have trouble driving anything.

As far as SUVs being taller than other vehicles and making it hard to back out of parking spaces, the same holds true of vans, monster trucks, bread trucks, mail trucks, and about half the vehicles on the road now. Translation: deal.

I too carp about suburban housewives in SUVs who never take them off paved roads, or get them out in bad weather. But there are cases where the drivers need those type vehicles. Sounds more and more like a catch-22.

In all honesty, SUVs annoy me less than them damn little bumblebee cars the teenagers so adore these days. Trunk spoilers, about 1/4 inch off the ground, 17 different shades of neon paint, and they sound like somebody dropped a plastic knife in a blender. But that's just me; your mileage can and likely will vary.

Gato_Solo

SouthernN'Proud said:
In all honesty, SUVs annoy me less than them damn little bumblebee cars the teenagers so adore these days. Trunk spoilers, about 1/4 inch off the ground, 17 different shades of neon paint, and they sound like somebody dropped a plastic knife in a blender. But that's just me; your mileage can and likely will vary.

You mean Rice rockets? :elaugh1: