Emachines Monitor Lifespan

pc_builder

So... is 2 1/2 years good?

My mom bought this emachines computer from walmart a little over 2 years ago. I have since upgraded the heck out of it. It runs good, pretty reliable.
This morning however, her monitor started acting funny. The screen had crazy distortion, like the vertical hold was screwed up like with older tvs.

I tried a different vga cable and still had the same problem. I briefly thought it could be the video card. Luckily, she had a spare computer in the house. I hooked up the monitor and was relieved when the problem stayed with the monitor. That video card is less than six months old.

So I had to run to my house and grab a spare monitor for her computer.

It's kind of funny though. My mom has the best computer in our family, so none of the spare parts I have at my house will work, outside of peripherals like the monitor.

I'm thinking 2 years or so for an emachines monitor isn't too bad. It was a 19" widescreen lcd. Now she's got a 17" crt sitting on her desk. It'll do for now, but I know she's going to miss the lcd. I just can't look for one until I can get back to work again.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The biggest problem with eMachines is everything is proprietary, ever the cabling is one use crap.

2+ years isn't bad at all.

Dave

My e-machine just died recently. I've had it for about 5-6 years. Never had a problem with it (and never modded it). I did buy a different screen for it as the resolution on the original left something to be desired.

pc_builder

Not that I can afford it right now, and I've noticed that the deals keep changing every time I go to the site, but I was looking at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824155060

I've heard of KDS before, but I have no experience with that brand. Yesterday there was a nice Acer 22" for $195.

Also, my mom asked me if her lcd monitor could be repaired. I told her probably, but I don't know if it would be worth the cost.

Kruz

Not that I can afford it right now, and I've noticed that the deals keep changing every time I go to the site, but I was looking at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824155060

I've heard of KDS before, but I have no experience with that brand. Yesterday there was a nice Acer 22" for $195.

Also, my mom asked me if her lcd monitor could be repaired. I told her probably, but I don't know if it would be worth the cost.

my son has this one and cant be more happy with its performance..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009094

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I've got two KDS CRT monitors sitting across the room. One lasted almost 5 years before giving out & the other got replaced by a widescreen MAG LCD which is appraching two years old & stoll going strong.

pc_builder

Both of those monitors look hella tasty.

And if the Asus really has a response time of 2ms I think I could fork over the extra cash when I have it.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I'm still using my trusty NEC MultiSync FE700. I haven't had a problem with it in the 8 years that I've owned it. The only thing I give up is desk-space...

pc_builder

Yeah I don't even know what brand this monitor is. And I don't feel like pulling it out to look at the back right now. :p

I've just got two stickers on the front. One is the energy star sticker. The other says "MPR II Low Emission" and "This device meets Swedish MPRII standard". And Catalyst Control Center just lists it as DDC Display.
Not that it matters. It's a nice monitor and it works great.

Edit: It's just so huge.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
I replaced my 19" lcd for this. My apt bedroom is too small for both so this made the most sense.

Attachments

• tel_LC32DV24U_pic2_h174.jpg
    tel_LC32DV24U_pic2_h174.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 7