Duron 600 to tbird 1.1 problems

RD_151

Well, in an attempt to put off upgrading until the 400mhz fsbs Bartons arrive, I decided to try to upgrade my dinosaur as far as it will go, to a 1.1ghz tbird. Well, it hasn’t gone too well. I have a truly ancient fic az-11 MoBo. I thought I could at least top it out to wait for the 400mhz fsb Bartons and a Nvida MoBo that officially supports 400mhz FSBs. Well, it didn't go so well so far. It won't stay stable for more than about 15min. Under dos, under win xp, under anything, it locks up in 15min or less, mostly less. I flashed the vda44 bios, which allegedly supports up to a 1.1ghz tbird. Anyway, I have tried everything. I swaped PSUs I was using an old 'deer' 300w psu (amd approved and all that good stuff) and it crashed. So I threw in one of the new Sparkle 300w PSUs I had sitting around, still nothing. Then I took out my TV tuner card, and disconnected my Zip drive, and one of my 80x80mm fans still no good. So now I'm thinking I might send this thing back to newegg, but with the 15 % restocking fee to get another one, I wonder if I should just assume it’s the MoBo and keep it. It’s not like I’ll use it for anything else if it won’t work in this board anyway. When I finally do upgrade its gonna be a Barton. What do you guys think, am I so under powered that it won't run stable? Is my dinosaur MoBo so obsolete it won’t even run this? Any thoughts? Just my luck I have no extra Motherboards lying around right now

Here are my specs:

-Ancient Mobo (Fic Az-11 (PCB 1.2) with the vda44 bios which allegedly supports the 1.1ghz Tbird)
-1.1ghz Tbird 200mhz fsb
-256mb of PC133 (ghetto generic syncmax ram, it was so cheap at $99 back in the day
-20gb WD 5400 Hdd
-80gb WD 7200 HDD
-sony Floppy
-52x24x52 Lite on CDRW
- Asus Geforce mx440
- Directron Hyrdralic case (the old Alienware cases)
- Sparkle 300w PS or the Deer 300w PS
- cooler master HAC-V81 HSF
-win xp

Well, I dropped the Duron 600 back in, and all is well. I'd like to stay with the 1.1ghz Tbird, but it seems its not gonna work. I used these sparkle 300w power supplies with 2 Althlon XP 1700s I built my parents, both had similar specs, but for some reason it seem not to be enough for this 1.1 tbird. Either that, or its something else that I'm missing. Ok, I’m leaning toward it being something else at this point! Maybe its not really supported by the dinosaur MoBo, but it says it is here.

ftp://ftp.fic.com.tw/motherboard/cp...ocketa/az11.pdf

Well, thanks for your help in advance!

If its most likely the MoBo Maybe I’ll just get an Nforce2 and use the Tbird until the 333 Bartons become more affordable, assuming the chip is fine. I really shouldn’t look at Neweggs prices. I mean for $33 how could I resist on this Tbird I guess at the very least I now have another relic from a bygone era, when AMD was actually on top, well sort of.

I've been out of the loop for a while, with no compelling reason to upgrade (I never play games anymore) so maybe I'm just missing somthing, or forgetting something. It seems like these things run pretty hot. It seems like its overheating almost (the dinosaur Mobo doesn't tell me temps though, that was a big problem with these board even back in the day, that and their from FIC :(). I have the HSF running less than full speed (adjustible fan speed). Maybe thats it, but it sounds like a hairdryer on max. And the xp 1700s ran fine with the fan speed at minimum. I'm sure the XP1700s run cooler though.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Could be a bad CPU. Take a look at the core and see if you can notice any significant damage, e.g. chipped, cracked, crumbled, scratched... Any one of these can cause a CPU to go unstable.

Do you have another board to try that T-bird in?

HeXp£Øi±

What do your temps look like?
If it's the cpu you should notice problems very quickly after booting the machine even during bootup. If it's a heat issue it would more likely take a few minutes before the problems arise.

RD_151

The problem is this old ghetto board has not heat sensors :(

Well, after taking a closer look there are some chips on the core. The bottom edge has a couple chunks out of it (extremely small chuncks, but theres something missing). I didn't even notice it before. I thought it was just some thermo paste I didn't get off it. Well, thats not good. It looks like it might need to go back. The problem is newegg's site says they don't do RMAs for "physical damage."

Physical damage to any product will void the product's warranty. Improper Installation of CPU fans and Improper clocking will cause CPUs to Chip or Burn. ALL CPUs that are chipped, burnt or have bent pins are considered physically damage. Newegg will not replace or refund CPUs that are physically damaged. This may include but is not limited to improper handling and any kind of physical damage not caused by normal use. Bent pins are a common site in physical damaged cpu's. Forcing the chip into place will never solve the problem but will only result in voiding the warranty. AMD and Intel will not take these kind of CPU's back from Newegg.com Therefore, Newegg.com must return any physically damaged cpu to the customer at the customer's loss.

So will they take it back still?

I really wish I had some thermo sensors though, that would definitely help. This board is shit, but it was the first socket A board (or at least one of the first), and I've had it that long. Definitely time for an upgrade :D

fury

Administrator
Staff member
About how big are the chips and chunks? There should be some little chips next to it, and some tiny little gold bridges...estimate the size of the chunks off of those.

Cause there have been some chunks out of my Duron processor about 1/4 the size of one of the chips and it worked fine.

RD_151

there are 2 of them. One is about 4mm long, and the other is about 2mm long. The large one, 4mm is in the middle of the bottom edge, and the 2mm one is on the bottom left corner. They are maybe only 1/10 to 1/2 mm deep.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
That's probably enough to upset the heat distribution enough to make it unstable... I remember after I chipped my Duron it ran about 10° hotter

RD_151

Great! Like I said at HWC in my last post, I hate returning shit. In fact, I probably wouldn't bother. I never do. I got 200 bad CDRs a while back, I never bothered with that, and they cost much more than this thing.

Thanks for all your help. I just never had ANY troubles with a CPU before, I actually would never expect it. Its so rare you hear of a bad CPU. Now motherboards, thats another matter! Hopefully I can still say I have never had trouble with a CPU. I'll find out for sure when I pick up an Nforce2 to put this thing in I guess.

HomeLAN

I didn't think the 266 FSB types were available until the 1.2's.

edit - nm, I see that there were 1.13's out on that FSB.

Inkara1

Did you try underclocking it to see if it'd work that way? Maybe try running it at 900 MHz or 1GHz or something.

never2muchRAM

no you guys! dont help him! i told him not to buy that crappy mobo in the first place, but HE NEVER LISTENS!!!! so now you are getting what you deserve RD!!!:laugh3: j/k what's up man? i made it over here. they seem like nice (message)boards.