Children on Airplanes

A.B.Normal

As a crowded airliner is about to take-off, a five-year-old boy, who picks that moment to throw a wild temper tantrum suddenly shatters the peace. No matter what his frustrated, embarrassed mother does to try to calm him down, the boy continues to scream furiously and kick the seats around him
:D

Winky

if you are doing something you should not be doing and I tell you once to choose another course of action and you do not comply, then it is self evident that sending information through the air in the form of sound waves into your ear and on to your auditory center did not work. It is then incumbent upon me as your parent to utilize another mode of communication. I will use various means and methods to stimulate nerve endings on your body resulting in a sensation known as pain. This instead of entering your brain in the areas of higher development will travel up your spine and enter your brain via the limbic system. It will then filter up to the emotive and intellectual areas. Now I want you to understand this clearly so it will elicit the correct response immediately because I don't want to have to be stimulating on you all the time!

Mare

Winky said:
if you are doing something you should not be doing and I tell you once to choose another course of action and you do not comply, then it is self evident that sending information through the air in the form of sound waves into your ear and on to your auditory center did not work. It is then incumbent upon me as your parent to utilize another mode of communication. I will use various means and methods to stimulate nerve endings on your body resulting in a sensation known as pain. This instead of entering your brain in the areas of higher development will travel up your spine and enter your brain via the limbic system. It will then filter up to the emotive and intellectual areas. Now I want you to understand this clearly so it will elicit the correct response immediately because I don't want to have to be stimulating on you all the time!

In Lay terms: SHUT UP NOW!!! Or i'm going to beat your Ass...

A.B.Normal

Mare said:
In Lay terms: SHUT UP NOW!!! Or i'm going to beat your Ass...

cheerleader.gif
band1.gif
yell.gif
oldman.gif
band2.gif

*waits for promised ass beatin :brow:

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
unclehobart said:
Children under 7 should be tagged, drugged, caged and slipped into the cargo hold like any other animals.
While in any vehicle, not just airplanes.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
unclehobart said:
Children under 7 should be tagged, drugged, caged and slipped into the cargo hold like any other animals.

My daughters flew with me several times between the ages of 1 and 7. Never had a problem with them screaming, and throwing tantrums. :shrug: Must have been parenting skills.

Now...how to deal with that brat? Take him into the lav, and give him a "swirly". His blue hair, and crappy smell, won't stop his screaming, but will entertain the other passengers to no end. Gives a new meaning to the words 'color commentary'. :lol:

unclehobart

Gato_Solo said:
Must have been parenting skills.
Hmm.. Sounds like youre slamming our parenting skills.

I would tend to think it 50/50 twixt parenting skills and raw temperment of the kids. Some are just a 24/7 PITA regardless of how Waltons-esque your skills are.

MrBishop

Chewing gum - you know that lovely feeling that you get in your ears with a sudden drop/rise in elevation? Mildly painful for us... more than mildly painful for kids. Chewing gum for the older kids, ear plugs for the younger. Stops the pain and stops the screaming.

Spanking the kid will not stop him/her from screaming and crying. It will just give him/her yet another reason to scream and cry...longer!

Distraction works far far better!

ClaireBear

Banned
unclehobart said:

I would tend to think it 50/50 twixt parenting skills and raw temperment of the kids. Some are just a 24/7 PITA regardless of how Waltons-esque your skills are.

Thats possibly the point "Waltons-esque" just ain't the way... unless I missed the episode where grandpa Walton gave the youngest a sharp crack across the back of the legs for playing up... using the phrase "I'll give you something to cry about young lady!"

Edit - Marc... you posted this before me!

MrBishop said:
Spanking the kid will not stop him/her from screaming and crying. It will just give him/her yet another reason to scream and cry...longer!

Not longer... if the kid is used to the "play up feel the pain of the palm" school of discipline they KNOW to hush up quick!

And at least you actually LOOK like you're trying to stop the noise rather than letting the child go on as you dangle his/her fave bunny in front of them much to the annoyance of everyone else... who are just ready to apank the kid themselves and lay you out with a right hook! :D

HomeLAN

Ear issues usually are only a problem at takeoff and landing, as the pressure changes. I have some sympathy for that, but not the kid who's an ass at cruising altitude.

I've flown with mine many times, no issues (thank God).

Gato_Solo

unclehobart said:

I give it more 75% parenting and 25% temperment...

I started time-outs as soon as they started to speak and, when necessary, spankings at age 2. You'd be surprised at how quick they learn, even at that age. They cry, and throw tantrums, for 2 reasons...

1. To get what they want.
2. To get attention.

If they ask for something they can't have, and I say no, they know that all the crying and tantrums they throw will only get them time-out, so they have to change their tactics. I'm not perfect, by any stretch of the imagination. What I have, though, is stubborn, bulldog determination. Don't get me wrong...I still play with my daughters, who are now 11 and 13, but I also have some very inflexible rules...most of the time...;)

PostCode

Major contributor!
Now that reminds me of the flight back from Germany to Dallas/Ft. Worth. It was like a 17 -18 hour flight. A little three or four year old in the seat right behind me. I had maybe three or fours hours of peace the whole friggin trip.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
MrBishop said:
Chewing gum - you know that lovely feeling that you get in your ears with a sudden drop/rise in elevation? Mildly painful for us... more than mildly painful for kids. Chewing gum for the older kids, ear plugs for the younger. Stops the pain and stops the screaming.

Distraction works far far better!

The quote says it's about to take off though, ear pain shouldn't be an issue til it's actually raising in the air.

Gato_Solo

One of the best ways to keep a child from becoming unruly on a long flight, is to keep them occupied. Bring some kid-sized puzzles in your carry-on bag, as well as a few snacks so they won't become too upset when they're tummys start to rumble. Seedless grapes, if your kids can handle them, work extremely well. So does applesauce, if they can't handle the grapes. Also be sure to talk to them, and set the rules, before you get on the airplane. Most people are in a rush, I never was. Arrive at the airport early, and let the kids look out of the window, and get them excited to get on the plane. This also tires them out a bit, so they'll have an easier time getting to sleep. There are a lot of little tricks out there. ;)

ClaireBear

Banned
How about this for an idea..

DON'T take young children on long haul flights... most long haul destinations (when travelling from the UK) are unsuitable not only because of the length of travel but because many have few mod cons and/or health provision...

Save the cash for their education!

MrBishop

ClaireBear said:

DON'T take young children on long haul flights... most long haul destinations (when travelling from the UK) are unsuitable not only because of the length of travel but because many have few mod cons and/or health provision...

Went on a long-haul flight with my son just prior to his 2nd birthday. He flew for free, though didn't get a seat. He ended up sitting on me or MrsBish the whole time.

The food was a joke (Baby food for a 2yr old??!?) but we brought stuff to distract him and he loves flying. I got more distractions and bitching and moaning from the adults around me than from the kids around me...including the asshole behind me who insisted on propping his knees on the back of my seat.

Gato_Solo

ClaireBear said:

In my case, it wasn't about a choice. Of course, my flights were only 8 hours, so I have no idea what they'd've been like for a 12-hour long red-eye, but they were little angels on those first flights to, and from, Panama...

Starya

Came across the rest of the story.

As the crowded airliner is about to take off, the peace is shattered by a five-year-old boy who picks that moment to throw a wild temper tantrum. No matter what his frustrated, embarrassed mother does to try to calm him down the boy continues to scream furiously and kick the seats around him. Suddenly, from the rear of the plane, a man in a U.S. Marine Corps uniform is seen slowly walking forward up the aisle.
Stopping the flustered mother with an upraised hand, the courtly, soft-spoken Marine leans down and, motioning toward his chest, whispers something into the boy's ear.
Instantly, the boy calms down, gently takes his mother's hand, and quietly fastens his seat belt. All the other passengers burst into spontaneous applause. As the Marine slowly makes his way back to his seat, one of the cabin attendants touches his sleeve. "Excuse me, sir," she asks quietly, "but could I ask you what magic words you used on that little boy?" The Marine smiles serenely and gently confides, "I showed him my pilot's wings, service stars, and battle ribbons, and explained that they entitle me to throw one passenger out the plane door, on any flight I choose, and that I was just about to make my selection for this flight.

My kid was 6 on his first plane ride. It took half an hour, and he was ecstatic over being in the air the whole time. So was I..
sjenert.gif