Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Other - please post

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't have a cell phone, and I don't care :P

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Mirlyn

What service do you use?

I've had Sprint since Fall of 2000. Getting increasingly irritated with it. I called yesterday to ask about cheaper plans. I currently pay 29.99/mo for 300 daytime and unlimited nights/weekends, long distance, all the standard sprint services. Anyhoo, so since I've gone with the Vision plan, I've had increasing problems. I used to get perfect signal everywhere I went, including my basement. Then I got signal in certain spots. Now I get enough signal to keep the time, but thats it. I can call my phone from my home phone and watch it not ring. If it does ring, I have about 10-20 seconds to talk before the signal fades. In fact, in the 200 yard walk or so to my car from work last night, I had to redial Customer Service four times because of signal faded. Talk about overcrowding their towers.

So I called them and asked what I'm supposed to do, or what I'm doing wrong. Told them I've called in countless times to file trouble reports and have always been told they're buiding new towers, or that I should do a PRL update (which doesn't affect my problems anyway). I asked them to look at the past month, past three months, past SIX months, and cound the number of calls that AREN'T one minute long (20 second call that breaks up is rounded to 1 minute). My monthly bill is literally three pages of one-minute calls, with a half-page to a page of >1 minute calls. Asked for something cheaper, because I was getting nowhere near my 300 anytime minutes and felt like I was paying too much for nothing. So they offered me a roaming plan, wherein I get 300 anytime minutes, but at least 50% of those minutes must be on the sprint network, but I can use the remainder of the minutes by using it when not on the sprint network. In other words, I can talk on anyones network, if they have better signal. Guess what, its $50 a month. I asked why on earth should I pay $20 more a month to get service that I should be getting in the first place? Couldn't answer it. So they offered me to try it for free for this month, but with a hitch--I get 50 mins to talk off-network. After 50mins, I hit roaming charges. I asked them this: "So you're saying I can talk anywhere, anywhere so long as I'm in someone's service, doesn't have to be Sprint?" She says yes. I said, "Oh, ok. Well what's stopping me from going over the minutes?" Nothing, she says. So I asked why can't I just cancel sprint and pay for the service that gets the signal in the first place? No use paying Sprint to use someone elses service (when its better signal) when I could just drop sprint and go with that service.

So, I'm on the 50 minute plan. For free (yeah right). I know I'm going to go over it. I'm not paying a $100 bill because I went roaming.

hands-free-cell-phone.jpg

What service do you use? Happy with it? Because I'm going to be switching. :D

Rose

I use US Cellular and seem to like it so far. Service seems to be good. I have a five-state local area, which is nice (I don't think they offer this anymore?) and free long distance. It's served me well so far - almost two and a half years now.

Dave

i use verizon. lots of dead spots around here. hilly terrain.
should just get rid of the fool cell phone. hardly ever use it. just checked the call log. last 5 calls were to pizza joints.....

CydCharisse

I use T-Mobile. My contract expires in October and I'll most likely not get another provider since I hardly ever use my cell-phone anyway

SexyBoo

I use Verizon and have really not been happy with it so far. The sad thing is - I have family who works for Verizon and still can't get a break or good service! (then again, maybe that is the problem, I'm family) :grinyes:

We get lots of spots where the phone loses service and they are not quick to help you with issues. :disgust2:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Verizon, and I'm pretty well pleased with it... I get 500 minutes, 1000 m2m, and unlimited night and weekend for a pretty low price. I get perfect signal strength in the most common places I go, and I rarely ever lose a call. That's maybe once every 2 months, or when I'm on a highway on the phone with my mom and telling her to quit calling me every 2 fucking minutes asking if I'm OK driving on an interstate, of course I'm OK driving on a highway at 75mph in the rain with an 18 wheeler on all sides of me, and having to answer the phone while I'm at the wheel in case it's an emergency makes it all that much easier! :tardbang:

Sorry, mini-rant over. :D

fury

Administrator
Staff member
SexyBoo said:
Yep, must be a family thing - I feel so dissed! :crying3:
Don't be sad! :sadhug:

Maybe it just depends on where you are... I could have a lot of different providers around here but I'd have to change my number, and I don't really hear any word of mouth saying any of them are any better than Verizon, at least not better enough to want to change my number.

nalani

I use Nextel and it's pretty good. I like the plan I'm on but I want a prettier phone :D

My son is with AT&T, the Go Phone .. no contracts .. it's not "prepaid" but it is at the same time. I like it because he's got a good plan ($40 for 400 minutes, unlimited nights & weekends .. free roam... free long distance .. etc etc) but the thing is (and they don't advertise this) if you pay your bill before it's due, they'll roll over your unused minutes ... and the phone is pretty :D

Mirlyn

fury said:
Don't be sad! :sadhug:

Maybe it just depends on where you are... I could have a lot of different providers around here but I'd have to change my number, and I don't really hear any word of mouth saying any of them are any better than Verizon, at least not better enough to want to change my number.

Actually, didn't congress just pass a bill that allows number retention? I think now (or soon) they'll let you keep your number when you switch providers.

peterska2

I kept my number when I changed networks so have a T-Mobile number on the Vodafone network.

I've had my number for about 4 years through various phones and it does me great

Acid

I use CellOne (AT&T service). I get 600minutes for $40 over a 5 state area (free nights [after 8pm] + weekends). I think it's alright. Right now though, the fkn tower is crappin out..it's gettin hammered over here (I'm in Morgantown, WV now..so in the past week it got a 4500+ person increase for using their cell here :\