Bishops remind catholics to vote what they tell you too.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Wow....dark ages?

link

Not at all. The moral teachings of a church should present itself in the daily life of it's followers. If you're torn between two candidates & one is morally opposed to tenet of your religion, that should help your decision.

spike

You're right. Specific candidates are not named.

the bishops urged Catholics to only use voter resources approved by the church.

Sure seems like some heavy handed meddling.

unclehobart

Churches can only advocate policy desirables. They cannot directly name parties or candidates as it violates federal law and endangers their tax exempt status.

chcr

Too cute for words
Sure seems like some heavy handed meddling.
It's a church. It's their stock in trade, it's what they do. Every other church does it as well, some more blatantly than others. AFAIK this has been part of the stated doctrine of the RCC from the beginning. Why is it suddenly news? Slow news day? Someone trying to make some waves in the media? I think it's just a reminder to the RCC flock, just like it says.

Churches can only advocate policy desirables. They cannot directly name parties or candidates as it violates federal law and endangers their tax exempt status.
Exactly.

Professur

Lemme look at this for a sec. One candidate supports ripping healthy infants out of their mother and slaughtering them, the other doesn't. The church you attend has a policy of not approving of the slaughter of anyone. Yup, they're sure telling them who to vote for, alright. Shame on them. Next they'll be telling people that if they assfuck their brothers, they should not bother attending. Who do they think they are?

unclehobart

Frankly, its a nonstarter. They are not stating any policy that hasn't been the party line since day one. It frankly shouldn't affect their votes as they probably already thought that way already. The religious cycnic who was going to vote their own way anyway isnt going to feel threated by talk of hell and loyalty to change their minds. You can take the sheep out of the shit, but you can't take the shit out of the sheep... unless you use a knife or summin'.

Prof, Tonks says hi.

Professur

Is her keyboard broken again? Send her a Hi back, willya? I was thinking of her last night. We went to V2.0's girl guide meeting *shudder*

unclehobart

Shes on a mega hiatus.

We do the scouts thing weekly. I'm perpetually surrounded by lil' girls and moms. I rarely see another dad... which is a little sad.

Professur

The head leader kept trying to include me ... and I'd have none of it. Sorry, 8 pubescent girls and one male ... not happening.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Isn't it a crime when a religious minister/association does proselytism?