Belief-o-matic - check your belief factor

HubbaHubba

How did the Belief-O-Matic do? Discuss your results on our message boards.

1. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (100%)
2. Neo-Pagan (98%)
3. Liberal Quakers (97%)
4. Unitarian Universalism (96%)
5. New Age (92%)
6. Reform Judaism (83%)
7. Theravada Buddhism (82%)
8. Mahayana Buddhism (81%)
9. Secular Humanism (75%)

I like Lutherianism, but i didnt really get the Q's thought buddhism was low there.

i just feel htat if you're a decent person and try to live a decent life the allmight fonz in the sky will "ehhhhh" you for whatever comes next.

unclehobart

1. Nontheist (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (88%)
3. Secular Humanism (86%)
4. Theravada Buddhism (71%)
5. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (70%)
6. Liberal Quakers (66%)
7. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (56%)
8. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (54%)
9. Bahá'í Faith (51%)
10. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (51%)

Welcome to scorched Earth... population: Rob

catocom

1. Seventh Day Adventist (100%)
2. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (94%)
3. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (93%)
4. Eastern Orthodox (90%)
5. Roman Catholic (90%)
6. Orthodox Quaker (90%)
7. Liberal Quakers (71%)
8. Hinduism (65%)
9. Unitarian Universalism (64%)
10. Orthodox Judaism (52%)

Seventh Day Adventist ?

I figured I was more # 2 than #1 :shrug:

pc_builder

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
2. Liberal Quakers (97%)
3. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (96%)
4. Secular Humanism (91%)
5. Neo-Pagan (79%)
6. Theravada Buddhism (72%)
7. Bahá'í Faith (70%)
8. New Age (68%)
9. Mahayana Buddhism (65%)
10. Nontheist (63%)

What's a Unitarian Universalist? Reading the descriptions are so vague!

Quaker?! WTF!

Unfortunately, every question was biased. Every answer "something to do with god" or the last choice "none of the above".

Nontheist is more like it.
You don't have to believe in god to be a good person.

BlurOfSerenity

i'm just gonna ramble a bit.

pc_builder said:
You don't have to believe in god to be a good person.

for many, it's not so much about being a good person in this life, as it is about what happens AFTER life.
christians (or, regular nondenominational christ-followers) believe that you can be the best, most goodest person on earth... but if you have not accepted Christ as your lord/savior thing, it's still off-to-hell with you when you die.

the point isnt to be a good person in this life. the point is to enter god's kingdom in the next.

AlphaTroll

2. Neo-Pagan (94%)
3. New Age (94%)
4. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (92%)
5. Liberal Quakers (87%)
6. New Thought (80%)
7. Mahayana Buddhism (74%)
8. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (72%)
9. Theravada Buddhism (67%)
10. Scientology (64%)
11. Reform Judaism (63%)
12. Secular Humanism (61%)
13. Bahá'í Faith (58%)
14. Hinduism (57%)
15. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (52%)
16. Sikhism (51%)
17. Orthodox Quaker (50%)
18. Taoism (47%)
19. Jainism (44%)
20. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (41%)
21. Jehovah's Witness (40%)
22. Orthodox Judaism (39%)
23. Nontheist (37%)
24. Islam (28%)
25. Eastern Orthodox (22%)
26. Roman Catholic (22%)
27. Seventh Day Adventist (20%)

Well, they got the top 3 100% correct - strange that this test should coincide with the journey I'm on......I'd have thought being a Jehovah's Witness would have come even lower than 7th Day Adventism.....

PC - Unitarian Universalism basically means that followers of the UU incorporate the teachings of other/all religious followings into their lives. It is a movement of open mindedness which says that the final authority in religion lies within ourselves and not in the books and doctrines of rigid religious movements. Although we do have regular worship we do not place as much emphasis on that as say the Catholic Church, the form it takes is also different and is more a sharing of knowledge and experiences - of course it does differ from group to group. A lot of emphasis is placed on service to the community - volunteer programmes, etc.

Wacky Nacky

2. Theravada Buddhism (89%)
3. Mahayana Buddhism (87%)
4. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (85%)
5. Liberal Quakers (84%)
6. Neo-Pagan (82%)
7. New Age (79%)
8. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (74%)
9. New Thought (74%)
10. Scientology (65%)

pc_builder

Well, I'm not sure I really care if there is a god or not.
If there is, fine.
If there isn't, fine.
If I get reincarnated, cool.
If I end up a ghost, cool. I always wanted to haunt some house.

All I would like to believe is that the soul or spirit continues after death, and I don't mean in some tortured, forever wandering the earth sort of way. I think it would be cool if, after I die, I can continue on as an astral body, meeting other astral bodies on the ethereal plane, traveling to new worlds, etc.

Reincarnation is also cool. But if I were reincarnated, it would be cooler if I could remember everything I learned in this life. Then I could ace school by age three, and spend my childhood more productively. :D

I don't know. Maybe I believe that there is some kind of higher power at work and when we die... maybe we go back to it or something.

I think heaven would be great if it was just like in the movie "What Dreams May Come" where everyone spends eternity in their own little heaven.

AlphaTroll

pc_builder said:
Well, I'm not sure I really care if there is a god or not.
If there is, fine.
If there isn't, fine.
If I get reincarnated, cool.
If I end up a ghost, cool. I always wanted to haunt some house.

All I would like to believe is that the soul or spirit continues after death, and I don't mean in some tortured, forever wandering the earth sort of way. I think it would be cool if, after I die, I can continue on as an astral body, meeting other astral bodies on the ethereal plane, traveling to new worlds, etc.

Reincarnation is also cool. But if I were reincarnated, it would be cooler if I could remember everything I learned in this life. Then I could ace school by age three, and spend my childhood more productively. :D

I don't know. Maybe I believe that there is some kind of higher power at work and when we die... maybe we go back to it or something.

I think heaven would be great if it was just like in the movie "What Dreams May Come" where everyone spends eternity in their own little heaven.

See, I believe that yes, there is a God (whether it be the Christian God or not) - I cannot believe that we all amassed out of nothing and just suddenly POOF Big Bang & there's an earth. But I also believe in evolution.

I do believe that we journey this world in a physical shell that will eventually die because of the physical frailty thereof. But that our souls move on to other plains - whether it be on earth, in another physical manifestation or to a higher plain - all depending on the amount of learning we did during this one lifetime. See, I have this idea that we all started off as parts of the 'greater being' and that some were sent to experience the world we call earth. But because of the nature of some experiences we have changed and forgotten our true selves. Our journey on this earth is, in a way, just a means to get back to that higher form we once were.

I also think that hell is a human creation - not the fires we were taught as children. To me hell is rather a state of ignorance where all simply accept what they are told without question. The painful part about it is when you finally do start questioning and having to break free from it.

As far as reincarnation goes - I think we do to some extent retain the knowledge we had gained from previous lives.....it reveals itself to us in many ways - have you ever been able to do something that you have never done before without having to really think about how you are supposed to do it? Or had those de ja vouz experiences or anything of the sort? I think those are just ways of your deep concious reminding you of a past life.

I could be totally wrong of course, but that's part of the learning experience - finding out the real truths about ourselves, our lives, the world we live in.

chcr

Too cute for words
See, I believe that yes, there is a God (whether it be the Christian God or not) - I cannot believe that we all amassed out of nothing and just suddenly POOF Big Bang & there's an earth. But I also believe in evolution.

But that isn't what happened. You left out the the intervening 15 or so billion years between the big bang (a theory, by the way) and the formation of the earth (4 billion years ago). Heck, the earth is around 700 milliion years younger than the oldest meteorites we've found. This is a very long time, and (IMO) requires no intervention from a supernatural being to reach where we are now.

AlphaTroll

Ah but you see, I don't think the Bible concept of the earth being created in 7 days is correct. The Bible tome is a great book of folklore and myth. But I do believe a greater being created it all, regardless of how long ago it happened, and that everything has evolved to the state it is now, and it is still evolving today.

And whether our earth was created as a seperate entity or if it was once part of another planet is just part of the truth I am trying to learn. We are merely a speck of dust on what is eternity and the space and time out there, that's for sure.

AlphaTroll

Gonz, yeah that may be so, but it's just the physical shell that is passed it's expiry date - if I am wrong and death truly is the end of it all, then I won't have to deal with the consequences after that. If I'm right then I go on from there.

Either way, the journey to finding out is an exciting one & I intend making it a good one.

pc_builder

AlphaTroll said:

Well, don't presume to put words in my mouth. I never said I believed in the Big Bang Theory.

But anyway, I understand where you're coming from and can relate wholeheartedly. What you described is somewhat how I feel. I'm just not long on words sometimes.