Any suggestions to help my 1700 JIUHB?

woodman19_99

So Kruz, Justintime, PT or anyone else, I just yesterday received my 8RDA+, XP 1700 JIUHB, 2x512 PC3200 Crucial, Coolermaster HAV-801(I think that is the right model number), and AS3. Since I bought these specifically for my first attempt to overclock anything, do you have any tips to help me get the best bang for my buck or should I just leave it up to trial and error? My main goal is to see if I can beat my P4 2.4 System

I think its unlocked already, as its a Tbred B, try lower multiplier and 3200 speeds fsb combination, when you start not booting try a higher vcore, e.g no boot at 2.2Ghz @ 1.65v, try 1.7v etc.. after you've reached a speed you're happy with, test with prime 95 for a few hours, that chip should do well past 2Ghz+.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Where do you get Prime 95? I've got a little program called CPUBurn. I use that to see what kind of max temp I'm gonna get, but I've never used Prime95, I don't think.

PT

Ok, sent myself the link. I think I'd better not run it on this P2 @400 they give me here at work. Liable to kill the poor thing. Wait a minute, if I kill it, they might get me a new one. :D

Heheh, you'd be surprised as to how much systems fail prime 95, stuff thats stable 24/7 can fail in minutes even OEM systems, its really picky about its calculations and ANY deviation fails it, if you survive 24hrs your cpu/memory is pretty much rock stable.

Professur

HEHE. What if???

Install that as a service on a machine and hide it? To start on a schedule at, oh, say, five past three?

PT

Professur said:
Install that as a service on a machine and hide it? To start on a schedule at, oh, say, five past three?

Have to make that about 5 past 5. But it's giving me ideas.:D

chcr

Too cute for words
PuterTutor said:
I think I'd better not run it on this P2 @400 they give me here at work.
Heh. I wiped and set one of those up today to give to someone who is probably not going to like it any more than you do. :p

Note: My work machine is a Celeron 800 w/128 megs of RAM, so it's no great shakes either.

PT

Ok, got Prime95 running, will it quit on an error or do you have to look in the log files to see if you get errors?

PT

Well, it's been running now for about a half hour, but its more of a hot pink.

woodman19_99

HEre's a little update. The previously mentioned setup is running just started running prime95 with a multiplier of 12 and FSB of 170, and a VCORE at 1.65. The temp at startup was 28 C on both the chip and the case. I'll run Prime for 3 hours to see if I get any issues. I'll write back late tonight or tomorrow with more updates.

woodman19_99

Alright, here's the poop(albeit a little late):

It seems as though 12.5x170 is as high as it wants to go, evne if I up the VCORE. I kept getting errors within 10 seconds of running prime if I upped the FSB, even if I did drop the multiplier down (note: I kept the VCORE at stock so as not to crispy fry anything important). Also, I upped the memory to 213 MHz, and haven't tried to go much higher. I have no clue what to do with the memory timings, they seem to be set at 9-4-4-3 or something like that. I thought my RAM would be able to do better than that, but I am a little wary of playing around with it till I get some more information. Also, the RAM does not have any heat spreaders on it so maybe that could be the problem.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions to get better speeds out of the memory and the CPU, short of buying a Prometia cooling system. I think the Power Supply is a CompUsa 431 Watt, but I will check when I get home.