• No, we have the LPGA for her to play on

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I follow golf but could care less

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Golf is just an excuse for people to wear funny clothes

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

woodman19_99

Well I figured some one had too mention this. I am wondering, for those of you who follow golf at all, what do you think about this situation at the Colonial?

Before I give out my opinion, I had one thing I wasn't dure about: Is she hitting from the mens or womans tees?

IMHO she should not be aloud to play at all. This is why we have the LPGA and the PGA!! Would it help if we slapped an M in front of PGA? Would she get the point? This whole situation sucks because it is all about the $$ for sponsors. I don't think she will help the game of golf and I am sort of hoping she completely bombs and doesn't make the first cut.

What is everyone elses opinion?

Dave

i'd watch a daytime talk show marathon before i'd watch golf.
however, this has piqued my interest. i still wont watch the games, but i'll probably follow her progress in the news.

358265sorenstam-annika-oct6.jpg

gag*

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
If she can hack the 700 or so yards the course offers daily, and makes the cut, why not?

BTW...she's using the same tees the men are using, otherwise it would be an insult not only to the PGA, but to the LPGA as well.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
it will be very interesting. but dont look for her to play for a green jacket anytime soon.:D
I dont really see why these women are making such a big deal over playing with the men. there is a skins competition where both sexes play. but i say if they really want to then lets make it right. theres only a PGA and everyone hits from the same t box.
It will bring out the best in the LPGA.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
See, I think that's the problem with this. You talk about absolving the LPGA, you're gonna have women screaming, yet we also have women screaming they want to play with the guys. It's all a bunch of bullshit. So, next year are the NBA and the WNBA gonna go head to head? How bout the NFL and the WNFL, that I'd watch.

woodman19_99

I think I would watch the (L)WNBA and NBA go at it also. Too see someone like Shaq against any of the woman center, what a masacre. The chicks would get crushed.:D

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
but see the PGA has been around the longest plus it stands for Professional Golfers Assoc. and thats what it would be. Pro golfers. Men and women. All playing with the same advantages and disadvantages. thats why i said earlier from the same t box.
if they want it different then play in their own league and zip the lip...
but even the main people from the PGA say this will prolly be the only game she plays. and from the looks of her playing right now she is only running even on the score so i doubt she will make the cut. even she thinks it might be too long of a course today.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
The fun part comes when one of the lessor male golfers decides to play in the LPGA because he isn't winning in the PGA..... fair is fair....Right? :shrug:

Demon Child

For a first attempt to test her skills in a game that is played much differently to what she is accustomed to, Annika did really well Thursday. The first day was the toughest for her since she had to get a feel for the course and I have a feeling that she will probably do well in the next few days.

a13antichrist

Couple of years ago the Williams sisters asked some tournament director to let them play a match against a man.. he went and got the World #200, played a set against each and beat them both 6-0.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Like her or not, it's over

FORT WORTH, Texas — Annika Sorenstam (search) was good enough to play against the men, but only for two days.

Her historic ride at the Colonial golf tournament (search) ended in the second round Friday when she stumbled to five bogeys in a span of eight holes and missed the chance to play in the final two rounds by four shots.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I was watching MSNBC, and they made a big show of her being better than 11 men on the tour. :rolleyes:

Guess those men can play LPGA now, eh? ;)

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Squiggy said:
The fun part comes when one of the lessor male golfers decides to play in the LPGA because he isn't winning in the PGA..... fair is fair....Right? :shrug:
It's already happened.

I didn't vote because none of the choices covers my opinion. I don't think this is good or bad for either tour. It's good for her, and that's all that matters. We're not about to see a bunch of women protesting wanting to play on the PGA tour, not the least of reasons because Anika was so far ahead of most of them and she's not even quite up to the challenge (though I thought she played some solid golf). This was here challenging herself (even if she was invited to play), and getting some much needed attention and mental sharpening.

She'll go back to the women's tour, and the issue will fade away. This isn't some mass women's movement here. That the PGA members are trying to push a declaration making it officially "men's only" is a bit silly. Why not invite a woman to play every now and then when one comes along with the skills to play? A few extra fans never hurt any sport. What about Michelle We (Wi? Wee? Wie?)? I think in a few years, when she has really developed as a golfer, she should have the opportunity to try her game against the best in the world... but not on a weekly basis, and I don't think she would want that either.

Professur

I see four points to this.

1) It's a man's league. Men aren't allowed to play the women's tour.
2) If she's good enough to play the men's tour, she should be allowed to compete, by their rules. Excepting that #1 interferes.
3) Many of the courses on the PGA tour are Men's clubs. No women allowed. I don't think this is a bad thing. Men need somewhere to be men, without women.
4) the media created by all this is disgusting. And the PGA is doing everything they can to keep it going for the free advertising.

Personally, I don't think she should be allowed to play with the boys, under the existing rules.