No option for a member to delete their own thread?

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Did I just miss that somewhere on the post editing screen? I didn't see any option to just delete the post (and, naturally, the thread if you started it).

Shouldn't that be an option, or was it left out for a reason?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
The option for users to delete their own posts was left out for a reason, it might cause confusion to see people reply to posts and then have the posts they replied to get deleted, making them look like idiots.

This decision isn't set in stone though, it can be changed at any time. Let's hear what other people think about having a delete function. Maybe it'll be enabled after all...

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Heh, I was just wondering 'cause it made me look like an idiot when I made a mistake and posted the same thread twice! :D

I'm kinda split on the issue actually. I've never liked editing my posts more than about an hour after I made it... kinda like once I say something (and have made it somewhat gramatically correct), I stand by it. Deleting posts (and threads) is kinda the same. It does bug me a bit when someone deletes their opinion or outburst to cover their own ass.

Still, sometimes mistakes happen. I guess as long as mods have the ability to delete posts and threads, then someone could simply ask a mod to do it for them (to correct a mistake). I think it's probably a good thing, but I'm curious to hear other people's opinions as well.

BTW, could someone delete the redundant "What type of woman" thread in the LL?

G

I think people should be able to edit but not delete thier posts.

sbcanada

If they make a mistake and post two of the same thread, there is almost always a mod here to get rid of it. I don't think members should be able to delete their posts, for reasons already stated here.

a13antichrist

JJR's board it set so that you can't edit the post more than 4 days or something after you've posted it. Wouldn't that be a useful compromise?

a13antichrist

Originally posted by fury
I could not find the option to limit how long an edit is permitted. :(

I'm sure if you ask JJR nicely (i.e., suck his cock a couple of times and let him bum-rape you :D) he'll tell you..

G

JJR doesn't use this software, and I don't think there is such a option. I would prefer that there is no time limit.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I know where the option is in vBulletin (I know that thing like the palm of my hand...), but this is WBB. Different, yet similar to vBulletin.

I think there may be a hack for burning board. Lemme look for it, but there's no guarantee it will be implemented unless the majority of the people want it

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
I think something like a ten-minute grace period would be nice. Plenty of time for a member to be able to correct stupid mistakes like double posts (or double threads in my case ;)), but too short to do any good if someone wanted to erase what they had said, or delete a thread that had become different than they intended.

JJR512

Originally posted by a13antichrist
Originally posted by fury
I could not find the option to limit how long an edit is permitted. :(

I'm sure if you ask JJR nicely (i.e., suck his cock a couple of times and let him bum-rape you :D) he'll tell you..
Sorry, I'm not that easy! :D

Pradeep

Originally posted by outside looking in
I think something like a ten-minute grace period would be nice. Plenty of time for a member to be able to correct stupid mistakes like double posts (or double threads in my case ;)), but too short to do any good if someone wanted to erase what they had said, or delete a thread that had become different than they intended.

My thoughts exactly. 10 mins should be fine.

a13antichrist

Originally posted by Pradeep
Originally posted by outside looking in

My thoughts exactly. 10 mins should be fine.

If you ask me (and even if you don't ask me, I'm going to tell you anyway) 10 mins is far too short a time. My recommendation would be around an hour or two.