Do you like to barbecue?

chcr

Too cute for words
I like hickory with a little apple thrown in for flavor. Pecan's good too. I'm not that fond of mesquite myself although it was cheap when I lived in AZ and I used it a lot there. Gato's right though, some nut or fruit wood mixed in really enhances flavor. The rub is pretty important too, IMO.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Some one doesnt get a joke.:blank:

Well, if your other posts were generally well typed and used the proper words (to vs too for example) then maybe that "joke" would have stood out...but when all your other posts are like that...well...

2minkey

bootlicker
yeah i gotta get more into BBQ.

i made some pork ribs not too long ago that were pretty good. really long and slow cooking. made my own rub and sauce.

but seems like there is a lot to learn.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I'd say a combo of grilling for 2 to 3 hours and then smoking until done. Just be sure to pick some fruit or nut wood to give it some flavor. The high heat will give you the crispy skin, and the smoking will give you the flavor.A grill like prof's or mine will give you that option. If you don't have that king of grill, just make sure your wood is wet and wrapped in foil with some fork holes to let the smoke out. Cook until the juice runs clear and the joints wiggle freely. ;)

Been doing it the Weber way for over 40 years. A couple of off years (others "insisted") made it more precious.

Professur

yeah i gotta get more into BBQ.

i made some pork ribs not too long ago that were pretty good. really long and slow cooking. made my own rub and sauce.

There is, but damn, it's fun going to school.

There's a lot, but the learning curve isn't steep. Particularly if you're going "lo'n'slo". Mistakes (mis-steaks?) have plenty of time to be corrected. Not like when you're going a stack of burgers on high, and one flare up can take them from raw to charcoal inside a minute.

Sharky

Actually, you can cook quite slowly on even a regular grill (I think the unit Prof has will do both at once), it just takes practice.

Yep, for indirect cooking just put the food on one end of the grill and turn the burner on the far end to low, and put a foil packet with wood chunks in it on the burner drip plate, for smoke.

Professur said:
Because when you slow, slow cook a brisket, all that fat turns to sugar, the spices slowly seep all the way through to the middle, and the meat turns so tender you could slice it with a spoon.

Bingo.

GrandCaravanSE said:
Thanks alot now i am really hungry, i need slow cooked food, i hate cooking it, it takes to long, i have to have somebody keep me away from the smell of it.

That's the fun part, though - sitting around talking and drinking beer and smelling that sweet, sweet hickory smoke. The trick is to have plenty of snacks on hand to keep the stomach growling to a minimum.

2minkey said:

Check out the BBQ Pit Boys videos - there are some good recipes for homemade rubs and sauces and some great tips and demonstrations of technique. It takes a lot of practice . . . I've been grilling every Saturday and Sunday since May and I'm still learning from them.

Sharky

I'd say a combo of grilling for 2 to 3 hours and then smoking until done. Just be sure to pick some fruit or nut wood to give it some flavor. The high heat will give you the crispy skin, and the smoking will give you the flavor.A grill like prof's or mine will give you that option. If you don't have that king of grill, just make sure your wood is wet and wrapped in foil with some fork holes to let the smoke out. Cook until the juice runs clear and the joints wiggle freely. ;)

Seconded . . . also would add that for the grilling part, use indirect heat so the turkey doesn't dry out, and baste frequently.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Seconded . . . also would add that for the grilling part, use indirect heat so the turkey doesn't dry out, and baste frequently.

Never basted a bird in my life. No need. The first & foremost rule is make no holes (one is allowed for a thermometer but it may not be removed or even moved - upon penatly of death.