Bluetooth in Home Audio equipment?

AlladinSane

I had the intention a year ago of acquiring a Home Theater device with Bluetooth to connect the computer and mobile phones altogether on a single station. I did a research and found out only Samsung had products with this resource here in Brazil and only on high tier ones. I waited a bit for the prices droping, and found out one of these days that all of them had phased out. I sent a mail to the costumer service and they told me BT is no longer needed as they are offering DLNA on their new line. WTF? DLNA is not available on phones yet and don't allow you to connect wireless headphones.
I wonder if it's a trend worlwide. I noticed the increasing offer of car audio systems with Bluetooth though. How are the offer of products there in USA?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I don't know much about the offering of bluetooth devices, but I'd recommend to not rely on it for interconnecting devices other than headsets and occasional music play. It is slow and won't allow you to stream video to the home theater, heck, not even 802.11g can keep up with standard definition streaming, let alone HD content (HD requires at least 100Mbps wired or 802.11n).

DLNA might not be available for phones right now, but if you're looking to stream, most phones provide USB connections (some even HDMI) so you can still use cables to connect them, not the most free-from-annoyance way but is still better than the constant interruptions in playback due to low speed bluetooth.

AlladinSane

It would be for audio only really. I would just like to play thru the System without having to leave a cable attached that will only be used 90% of the time. I think sometime in the future they will have to resort to some form of wireless link. As I see DLNA is usefull only for content transmission. I don't see how they could transmit sound to a remote device as it is...

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
There *should* be some kind of headphone jack to bluetooth adapters for sale somewhere, there are probably some bluetooth to rca, should be cheaper than a full home theater.

(I actually don't know if such convertors exists, but I doubt I'm the first one to think of them)