Iraq is finally normalized

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Well, all you doomsayers...looks like your "war for oil" stance was, at best, only partially correct. Not crude, mind you, but oil still the same.

The former Saddam International Airport now houses Iraq's first Burger King. Part creature comfort, part therapy for homesick troops, its sales have reached the top 10 among all Burger King franchises on Earth in the five months since it opened. The shiny metal broiler spits out 5,000 patties a day.

There is this little ditty too from Oct 13 2003

The Gallup poll found that 71 percent of the capital city's residents felt U.S. troops should not leave in the next few months. Just 26 percent felt the troops should leave that soon.

Almost six in 10 in the poll, 58 percent, said that U.S. troops in Baghdad have behaved fairly well or very well, with one in 10 saying "very well." Twenty 20 percent said the troops have behaved fairly badly and 9 percent said very badly.
broken down to 70% said they we are the good guys :D

SF Gate

Oh JOY! We've WON! :clap: American companies are making money in Iraq...:dance:

:eek6:If Sadam had polled them while HE was in, he would have recieved a 100% confidence vote...You think they're already trusting enough to speak their minds?

I seriously doubt the gallup pollers were wearing fatigues & M-16s

When Gallup set out recently to poll Baghdad residents, the biggest surprise may have been the public's reaction to the questioners: Almost everyone responded to the pollsters' questions, with some pleading for a chance to give their opinions.
:p

We did the right thing. Things are going as, or better than, planned. The world is a safer place. The UN is once again following orders. Live it, love it, learn it.

:usa:

The world is a safer place. The UN is once again following orders. Live it, love it, learn it.

where is it safer now? there is still violence mate. and whos orders is the UN taking? i thought they gave the orders?

freako104 said:
and whos orders is the UN taking? i thought they gave the orders?

:rofl4:

thanks, I needed that

:rofl4:

Safer? yep...ask the Iraqi's if they feel safer. It's far deeper than that but start there

Since the end of the Iraq war, at least 60 mass graves, some with hundreds of corpses, have been discovered. The United Nations is investigating the killing or disappearance of at least 300,000 Iraqis believed murdered during Saddam's regime.

uhhh gonz... the UN did make the international laws didnt it? Iraq maybe safer but Iraq isnt the world. its just one down of maybe hundreds of dictators

freako104 said:
uhhh gonz... the UN did make the international laws didnt it? Iraq maybe safer but Iraq isnt the world. its just one down of maybe hundreds of dictators

The UN can make laws all day long...nobody is required to follow them unless they sign the treaty (see Kyoto)...even if they sign it's still not much more than a suggestion.

Hundreds of dictators minus one or two makes it SAFER. I didn't say safe.

according to this we are a member.

but i did misread yours as i thought you meant since hes gone the world is safe. sorry aboiut that

yes. getting him out of power was for the best. even people against the war would agree. jsut not by violent means

freako104 said:
according to this we are a member.

That says we're a member nation. I doesn't say anything about giving up our sovereignty. Nor does it demand we follow all UN charters.

freako104 said:
yes. getting him out of power was for the best. even people against the war would agree. jsut not by violent means

True, because asking him nicely really worked right? or we could have wet his appetite with a free i-pod if he came off the throne?.....sent him some "Jesus loves you" stickers...those would have rocked..all glow in the dark and stuff.

What other peaceful methods do you know of dethroning a power hungry, blood thristy monster?....help me because i am fresh out of ideas
:D

Oh, come on BCD, there's....no, wait that didn't work...wait I've got it...no, sorry that was in a Looney Tunes cartoon...how about....shit...freako-help

Maybe Bush should take notes

Rumsfeld said:
October 16, 2003

TO: Gen. Dick Myers
Paul Wolfowitz
Gen. Pete Pace
Doug Feith

SUBJECT: Global War on Terrorism

The questions I posed to combatant commanders this week were: Are we winning or losing the Global War on Terror? Is DoD changing fast enough to deal with the new 21st century security environment? Can a big institution change fast enough? Is the USG changing fast enough?

DoD has been organized, trained and equipped to fight big armies, navies and air forces. It is not possible to change DoD fast enough to successfully fight the global war on terror; an alternative might be to try to fashion a new institution, either within DoD or elsewhere — one that seamlessly focuses the capabilities of several departments and agencies on this key problem.

With respect to global terrorism, the record since Septermber 11th seems to be:

We are having mixed results with Al Qaida, although we have put considerable pressure on them — nonetheless, a great many remain at large.

USG has made reasonable progress in capturing or killing the top 55 Iraqis.

USG has made somewhat slower progress tracking down the Taliban — Omar, Hekmatyar, etc.

With respect to the Ansar Al-Islam, we are just getting started.

Have we fashioned the right mix of rewards, amnesty, protection and confidence in the US?

Does DoD need to think through new ways to organize, train, equip and focus to deal with the global war on terror?

Are the changes we have and are making too modest and incremental? My impression is that we have not yet made truly bold moves, although we have have made many sensible, logical moves in the right direction, but are they enough?

Today, we lack metrics to know if we are winning or losing the global war on terror. Are we capturing, killing or deterring and dissuading more terrorists every day than the madrassas and the radical clerics are recruiting, training and deploying against us?

Does the US need to fashion a broad, integrated plan to stop the next generation of terrorists? The US is putting relatively little effort into a long-range plan, but we are putting a great deal of effort into trying to stop terrorists. The cost-benefit ratio is against us! Our cost is billions against the terrorists' costs of millions.

Do we need a new organization?

How do we stop those who are financing the radical madrassa schools?

Is our current situation such that "the harder we work, the behinder we get"?

It is pretty clear that the coalition can win in Afghanistan and Iraq in one way or another, but it will be a long, hard slog.

Does CIA need a new finding?

Should we create a private foundation to entice radical madradssas to a more moderate course?

What else should we be considering?

Please be prepared to discuss this at our meeting on Saturday or Monday.

Thanks.

Back