the official christmas blows thread

ris

bah, humbug.

this is a holly, fairy lights, carol singing and santa free zone. mistletoe is permitted solely for the job of blattantly copping off with people.

christmas sucks, 2002 sucks, bastard cold weather with no heating sucks, car service bills suck, losing your job sucks and buying endless phreaking presents for family at exhorbitant prices that you know they don't really want sucks.

:hmm:

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Yeah! :headbang: Christmas would be so much better without all this Peace and love and joy and presents and goodwill and shit....

ris

humbug

at least there are only a few days left before christmas for crap things to happen in, and 9 of this month. [attachment]114032[/attachment]

and as mr blackadder kindly reminded us in his christmas carol - the milk of human kindness has gone off. it stinks :grumpy:

AlladinSane

I hate this time of the year too. Despite my life has changed a bit for better, I'm depressed. Christmas and New Year's Eve always get me down. It never fails :(

Vortex

Nha, New Years I ALWAYS love! It's like you can take all the shit that happened during the year, and throw it away, very cleansing... but then again, I was brought up by some "Off Centre" ideals :p

HeXp£Øi±

I used to love hating Christmas. It gave me good reason to isolate myself and get loaded. Actually, i used to love blackness and depression period. For most i my life i just wasn't comfortable without it.

greenfreak

I always saw Christmas what I can make of it--not what anyone else thought of it. I'm actually very excited about this year!

We've had many family crises around Christmas... My sister being in the hospital on Christmas Eve, Day, and for a week afterwards... My Uncle Eddie dying on the 23rd... But I remember what it's like for the kids in the family and now I get excited for them. It's different for kids, and I'm glad I can enjoy it with them. Their happiness is contagious. :)

And this:
ris said:
[attachment]114032[/attachment]

is quite possibly the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. Whoever did that, bravo!!

Scanty

Christmas is okay for me, because anything right after my birthday seems like a ray of sunshine. :D

Dave

i'm not a big fan of christmas either.
i'm not sure what part of it annoys me the most. the same 20 x-mas songs on a loop for 30 days, x-mas marketing that starts before halloween or the incredibly fake happiness that everyone exudes until they go back to being their miserable selves on the 26th.

Ardsgaine

SANTA CLAUS SAYS...

"Have a Coke and a smile, and shut the fuck up!"

cokesanta.gif

PostCode

Major contributor!
I've been saying the same thing for years. I really hate this holiday. Friggin marketing campaign is all it is.

BlurOfSerenity

yeah, my friend who is christian really is mad at what's been done to christmas, too. it's been made X-mas. christ often seems to've been completely removed from the equation. that's just sad. what are the first 6 letters of "christmas"? people need to remember that.
(for the record, i do not celebrate christmas. i just get presents. santa gets no credit)

Ardsgaine

Christ has nothing to do with Christmas. People were celebrating the 25th of December long before the Christian cult came along. The Christians have tried to turn the Yuletide celebration into a Christian holiday, but it is pagan to the core. Our modern way of celebrating Christmas came about in the late 1800s, Santa Claus gift-giving, family gatherings, and all. It's commercial because it came straight out of capitalism.

Personally, I like it. No, I love it. I think it's the greatest holiday ever, and when I hear people whining about how it's too commercial, I just have to laugh. THAT'S what makes it fun. Tomorrow night we're going to go to the mall, and we're going to revel in the sight of all those shoppers running around buying gifts for the people who they love.

Merry Christmas, guys!!

:santabng: :santabng: :santabng: :santabng: :santabng: :santabng:

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Its not quite that cut and dry, Ards...:D

The history of Christmas

Christmas is a Christian holiday that celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ. No one knows the exact date of Christ's birth, but most Christians observe Christmas on December 25. On this day, many go to church, where they take part in special religious services. During the Christmas season, they also exchange gifts and decorate their homes with holly, mistletoe, and Christmas trees. The word Christmas comes from Cristes maesse, an early English phrase that means Mass of Christ.

The story of Christmas comes chiefly from the Gospels of Saint Luke and Saint Matthew in the New Testament. According to Luke, an angel appeared to shepherds outside the town of Bethlehem and told them of Jesus' birth. Matthew tells how the wise men, called Magi, followed a bright star that led them to Jesus.

The first mention of Christmas

The first mention of December 25 as the birth date of Jesus occurred in A.D. 336 in an early Roman calendar. The celebration of this day as Jesus' birth date was probably influenced by pagan (unchristian) festivals held at that time. The ancient Romans held year-end celebrations to honor Saturn, their harvest god; and Mithras, the god of light. Various peoples in northern Europe held festivals in mid-December to celebrate the end of the harvest season. As part of all these celebrations, the people prepared special foods, decorated their homes with greenery, and joined in singing and gift giving. These customs gradually became part of the Christmas celebration.

In the late 300's, Christianity became the official religion of the Roman Empire. By 1100, Christmas had become the most important religious festival in Europe, and Saint Nicholas was a symbol of gift giving in many European countries. During the 1400's and 1500's, many artists painted scenes of the Nativity, the birth of Jesus. An example of these works appears in the Jesus Christ article in the print version of The World Book Encyclopedia.

The popularity of Christmas grew until the Reformation, a religious movement of the 1500's. This movement gave birth to Protestantism. During the Reformation, many Christians began to consider Christmas a pagan celebration because it included nonreligious customs. During the 1600's, because of these feelings, Christmas was outlawed in England and in parts of the English colonies in America. The old customs of feasting and decorating, however, soon reappeared and blended with the more Christian aspects of the celebration.

Gift giving

The custom of giving gifts to relatives and friends on a special day in winter probably began in ancient Rome and northern Europe. In these regions, people gave each other small presents as part of their year-end celebrations.

Other customs

In the 1800's, two more Christmas customs became popular--decorating Christmas trees and sending Christmas cards to relatives and friends. Many well-known Christmas carols, including ``Silent Night" and ``Hark! The Herald Angels Sing," were composed during this period. In the United States and other countries, Santa Claus replaced Saint Nicholas as the symbol of gift giving.

The celebration of Christmas became increasingly important to many kinds of businesses during the 1900's. Today, companies manufacture Christmas ornaments, lights, and other decorations throughout the year. Other firms grow Christmas trees, holly, and mistletoe. Many stores and other businesses hire extra workers during the Christmas season to handle the increase in sales.

The word Xmas is sometimes used instead of Christmas. This tradition began in the early Christian church. In Greek, X is the first letter of Christ's name. It was frequently used as a holy symbol.

This is from Worldbook. The source is : http://www2.worldbook.com/features/holidays/html/history.htm

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Squiggy said:
The first mention of December 25 as the birth date of Jesus occurred in A.D. 336 in an early Roman calendar. The celebration of this day as Jesus' birth date was probably influenced by pagan festivals held at that time. The ancient Romans held year-end celebrations to honor Saturn, their harvest god; and Mithras, the god of light. Various peoples in northern Europe held festivals in mid-December to celebrate the end of the harvest season. As part of all these celebrations, the people prepared special foods, decorated their homes with greenery, and joined in singing and gift giving. These customs gradually became part of the Christmas celebration.

That's what Ards said, in fewer words. :D

Archaeologists & historians have determined that Jesus was born in or about July. 'Twas the Roman Catholic Church that stole the Winter Rituals from the pagans & decided to make it Christs birthday.