Here´s an idea

JJR512

Here's an idea

So from what I understand, this board is supposed to be an unofficial replacement for the defunct OT forum from HWC. And I also understand that the powers-that-be at HWC were consulted regarding this and they decided to allow it.

Since there is already an opened line of communication between this board and HWC, is it possible that they might be talked into turning over the files from the OT forum? They're UBB, they should have an entire directory of CGI and HTML files, that make of the HWC OT forum. Just closing the forum doesn't delete the files. They probably moved them, but unless they really deleted them, they might still exist.

Being able to get ahold of those files and import them here would give a good backlog of old stuff, much of it good, much of it admittedly not so good. I doubt HWC would actually give up those files, but I'm just suggesting somebody at least try, because you don't know until you try. What do you think?

sbcanada

Originally posted by JJR512
So from what I understand, this board is supposed to be an unofficial replacement for the defunct OT forum from HWC. And I also understand that the powers-that-be at HWC were consulted regarding this and they decided to allow it.

They didn't really decide to allow it. They didn't have much of choice since this site had to be completely seperate from HWC. We couldn't use their name, nor have a link at HWC. The only thing they did was support us, and allow us to discuss the creation of this site there (until they eventually locked the thread), and for that, I give them my thanks.

The old HWC OT forum's posts are over a year old. Why would we want that mold cluttering our new site?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I'd want it and I bet I'm not the only one - from all the references and allusions to the OT forum I've seen all over I think it would make fantastic reading! :D

sbcanada

If we could get those files, it would be nice to have access to them from this site, but I don't think we should put all those messages into our forums. Maybe just have the old messages in an archive here for reading.

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
I like the idea. I've had some good stuff over there, and I also have some nice memories of threads started by others, like wdeep :)

Anyway, HWC was the first forum I ever visited since I started on the Internet, which was on a 56k dial-up... a lot has changed since then, and I've visited a lot of other forums, but none of them came as close as the OT at HWC. :)

G

The only things you will find that I said over there is either "yawn" or "no comment". If I am going to be involved in a new ot forum, I'd like to start fresh and not have some of the new people here reading what I said over there. This is a new day and a new board. Let's not clutter it up with people throwing pots and pans.

If you want to know what the ot forum was like just take a look at the fight that Fury and I had recently. I really didn't get involved in too many battles in that forum, but there were other people that did.

I agree with s4, its a new forum, if you wanna discuss what you discussed in OT of past, start a new freakin thread on the subject :D

G

I would also like to point out that things are different here then they were back then. I have repeatedly used the word fuck in this forum and nobody said anything.

If I had done that in the old ot forum, Housen would of washed my mouth out with soap and try to make me beg for forgiveness. :D

greenfreak

Originally posted by Justintime
The files still exist and are still browsable, not by members though, won't tell ya how i know ;) :D

That must have been in the report too. ;)

By the time I came along, the OT was gone. I admit, it sounds like it would be interesting to read but I understand why people wouldn't want to see it again. Especially if there were alot of hurtful things said.

JJR512

Well, I guess I can understand the dissenting viewpoint. I didn't really consider that because I wasn't involved in that forum too much at the end, with other projects occupying my time, so I didn't realize it was that bad. I knew it got off to a rough start, but it seemed to settle down towards the middle...that, I guess, would be the "heyday". There was some bad stuff, but some good stuff, too. But, of course it would be too difficult to weed out the undesirable content...so it'd be either all or nothing. It's probably a moot point, anyway, since I'm sure they would never give us those files.

G

That's why it got shut down. People weren't playing nice like they are here.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
A good idea and one that could use more consideration, however, the corporate minds at the owners of the old off-topic forum would be very difficult to convince handing over the old posts. Plus, I'm not sure if there is a converter routine for UBB 5.47 posts to WBB, and our host will not allow an active UBB on here, except in cases where we are temporarily storing the UBB to convert posts over to a modern board system.