Government aquthorities to have more power to read your e-mails without a warrant?

jimpeel

According to this bill, if it passes and becomes law, they will.

SOURCE

Tuesday, November 20, 2012
New Bill Would Allow Government To Read Personal E-mails Without Warrant
A Senate proposal touted as protecting Americans' e-mail privacy has been quietly rewritten, giving government agencies more surveillance power than they possess under current law.
CNET has learned that Patrick Leahy, the influential Democratic chairman of the Senate Judiciary committee, has dramatically reshaped his legislation in response to law enforcement concerns. A vote on his bill, which now authorizes warrantless access to Americans' e-mail, is scheduled for next week.
Leahy's rewritten bill would allow more than 22 agencies -- including the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Federal Communications Commission -- to access Americans' e-mail, Google Docs files, Facebook wall posts, and Twitter direct messages without a search warrant. It also would give the FBI and Homeland Security more authority, in some circumstances, to gain full access to Internet accounts without notifying either the owner or a judge.
It's an abrupt departure from Leahy's earlier approach, which required police to obtain a search warrant backed by probable cause before they could read the contents of e-mail or other communications. The Vermont Democrat boasted last year that his bill "provides enhanced privacy protections for American consumers by... requiring that the government obtain a search warrant."

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
QUICK!!!! Somebody call Spike. He'll contact his Democrat brothers n sisters & set this straight

2minkey

bootlicker
does it actually have a chance of passing?

gee, guess i should write my senators and rep and ask them to support the bill...

2minkey

bootlicker
the real question is how to speed along approval of this most important piece of legislation so that we can keep an eye on people that have secret knowledge of our secret plans. to bugger them. secretly.

Winky

2070xmq.jpg

catocom

If it's on the internet, expect it to be seen by anyone and everyone.
I do use debit/atm/cc card, but I have it setup so that
if the money isn't in there, it doesn't go through.
I only put money in there when I'm going to order, and watch it close even then.
Paypal is pretty good though.
As far as what you 'say', well I use pretty much the same rule....If I
don't want it seen, it doesn't get posted....anywhere.

Winky

funny, me kid is writing a thang for law review
as of today the guberment can already access yer
'electronic communications' without a warrant
(e-mails 6 months old, older and they need a warrant)
betcha din know that eh Homey?

catocom

waaaay too late for me to try and get off grid.
I'm 48, and I wasn't exactly an angel in my earlier life.
Been around the block a time or two.
Besides, you have seen google earth, right?
You don't think the gov has some stuff up there that can see ya? ;)

2minkey

bootlicker
is ten acres enough? i was thinking a quonset hut type dwelling, maybe a dirt go-kart track... shooting range... occasional tire fires... think they'll notice me?

catocom

is ten acres enough? i was thinking a quonset hut type dwelling, maybe a dirt go-kart track... shooting range... occasional tire fires... think they'll notice me?
I guess that'd depends on who all is there, and what y'all at discussing
that would be factored in.
They are listening too ya know. ;)