Garbage night pays off - HP Omni 2100

MrBishop

Well....one person's garbage is another man's treasure.
My new treasure is an HP Omnibook 2100 - working condition
P266
32mb
3.2GB HD
Windows ME (Oh well...beggars can't be choosers)
PCMCIA 56k modem
floppy drive

That's all I can figure out for now as the battery's drained and the person who gifted me with the lappy didn't see his way to giving me the AC adapter.

I have an old lappy with an AC adapter...what are the chances that this'll work on the new lappy?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
uh...check the specs of the adaptor and check the specs of the laptop...

MrBishop

Had a bitch of a time finding the white sheets on the Laptop.

The battery recommended is a: F1454A
19V 3.16 A

My old laptop is a Compaq Contura 4/25 - can't find specs on the ac adaptor at all.

Professur

The battery specs and the AC/DC input specs ARE NOT THE SAME. If you put 19v @3.16A through the power jack, you'll probably have the pleasure of smoking.

MrBishop

Professur said:
The battery specs and the AC/DC input specs ARE NOT THE SAME. If you put 19v @3.16A through the power jack, you'll probably have the pleasure of smoking.
Lovely... looks like I'll have to call Frosty's to see if they've got one in stock, unless you know of a better place to find old HP Adaptors

Any recommendations? Ebay's got'em in surpluss, but I'll be dakmned if I pay $20 for shipping

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
MrBishop said:
Had a bitch of a time finding the white sheets on the Laptop.

The battery recommended is a: F1454A
19V 3.16 A

My old laptop is a Compaq Contura 4/25 - can't find specs on the ac adaptor at all.

Adaptor for the 2100...

Power Description
Input Voltage 110 or 220V AC
Output Voltage 19.80V
Current 3A - Output Current
Output Power 59.40W

From here

Now, check the adaptor that you have for the old compaq...the specs should be written on it...

Professur

You could always do what I said above and give me the numbers off the bottom so I can look it up. Model number and serial number.

MrBishop

Professur said:
Oh..I see. My bad.
I meant to say: the adaptor specs are listed as: 19V 3.16 A
must've been mislisted

Here's a pic
F1454A.jpg

It looks freakingly similar to the one that I have for the Contura

Ooh...found some specs for the Contura Adaptor
Input:110-240V 50/60Hz Auto-Detect International Compatible

Output:19V DC, up to 3.16A / 60W max

Connector:Barrel, Center +

Item Includes:AC Adapter and Power Cord

MrBishop

Professur said:
You could always do what I said above and give me the numbers off the bottom so I can look it up. Model number and serial number.
Off of the laptop or off of the old adaptor? Both?
They're in the car...it'll be a bit before I can get out there. 30mins plus

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
If ya give him the laptop numbers he can tell you everything you ever wanted to know and much stuff you don't understand about the machines :D

*pats her laptop affectionately*

[talks to her lappy]Prof knows everything about you doesn't he? Yes he does, he knows just so much about you[/talks to lappy]

ok...I need help :lloyd:

MrBishop

Nixy said:
Adaptor for the 2100...

Power Description
Input Voltage 110 or 220V AC
Output Voltage 19.80V
Current 3A - Output Current
Output Power 59.40W

From here

Now, check the adaptor that you have for the old compaq...the specs should be written on it...
Thanks Nix. :)
Thanks Prof :)

MrBishop

So...I have an old 19v 3amp adaptor *no Wattage listed* and a 19.8v 3amp 59.4W requested.

What are the chances of smoking the new lappy? Providing that the plugs match.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
MrBishop said:
So...I have an old 19v 3amp adaptor *no Wattage listed* and a 19.8v 3amp 59.4W requested.

What are the chances of smoking the new lappy? Providing that the plugs match.

This I can't help you with :D But I can tell you wattage is volts multiplied by amps I think *scratches head* and my research says the one for the old lappy is 3amp too...

MrBishop

Professur said:
never mind.
Seriously...I trust you implicitly with compis and especially laptops. I give you last word on those issues any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

So... beyond what I've read and Nixy posted... what're the odds of making my new toy go 'pfft'?

Oh...and can I plug in an external CD-rom on this thing. I seriously need to turf WinME

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
MrBishop said:
Seriously...I trust you implicitly with compis and especially laptops. I give you last word on those issues any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

So... beyond what I've read and Nixy posted... what're the odds of making my new toy go 'pfft'?

Oh...and can I plug in an external CD-rom on this thing. I seriously need to turf WinME

How about going to the HP website, and looking for your answer there?

If that doesn't work, try here. :shrug:

MrBishop

Well.... I looked at the specs of the AC adaptor that I have and not only does it not fit into the slot, but the amperage is only 2.2AMP, so even re-splicing a new head wouldn't do it. :p

OK Prof...here ya go:

HP Omnibook 2100
Input 19V 3.16A

(S) TW817D6374
(1P) F1584WT

No other serial numbers visible